What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mercedes c180 - Merc c180 or Volvo c30 - gnucar

I seem to be able to replace the banger with a nice sports coupe - and am looking at a Merc c180 coupe or Volvo c30. I've seen a few c180's with 20k on the clock for 12k, and its not dissimilar on the c30.

I've never had a merc, and have little idea about the running / servicing costs - did once have a smart car and it was expensive.

Any thoughts? I've sat in a c180 and wasn't sure about the super long bonnet - but the current car is tiny - haven't driven one but I assume they are good? I'm worried it will be a money pit, but it would be nice to have a really nice car before petrol runs out :)

Drove and liked a c30 when I had one as a loaner for a couple of days, but the other cars a v50 so a bit samey / boring.

Mercedes c180 - Merc c180 or Volvo c30 - Avant

Some of the smaller-engined versions of both these are sporty more in looks than performance, so it depends on what your priorities are. Have you discounted BMWs and Audis? VW Scirocco probably too new on the market to get one within your budget.

I'd agree that if you already have a V50, it's worth looking at something else. Maybe tell us a bit more as to whether you're looking mainly for performance / looks / brand image etc. All can be important to coupe buyers.

Edited by Avant on 25/04/2010 at 23:23

Thanks for the reply, looking for something a bit sporty, not super powered performance but decent acceleration, safe, big enough for 2 small kids in the back but still small enough to manoeuvre ok. Demo'd a lovely pug 1.4 2007 with 7,000 miles on the clock and 5k off list but it just crawled along with zero accelertion. Current car is a pug 106 1.1, which I know is obviously awful but at least has some pull - but I'm doing a lot of driving now, some client visits etc and its not really up to it. Golf a bit boring, wouldn't mind something with a bit of cachet. Audi? Suggestions really welcome.

Mercedes c180 - Merc c180 or Volvo c30 - madf

If you are worried about Mercedes service costs, ring the local dealer Service Manager and ask.

Note: they will always when the car is in their hands find more work to do. Mercedes servicing is think of a number, double it and add £400...

Yeah, thats what I thought, its not going to be cheap and maybe I'm not that impressed..

Mercedes c180 - Merc c180 or Volvo c30 - prm72

Look for a good indie, very reasonable servicing on mercs