What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec 2002 - Focus 1.6 instument panel dead - islandman

The Speedometer, Rev Counter & mileage readout have suddenly stopped working. The warning lights do work ok as does everything else.

Checked the fuse for the instrument module which appears ok

Any ideas greatfully received ----- thanks

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec 2002 - Focus 1.6 instument panel dead - Tommk4

I'd do a bit of searching for this one, try both this site and google as i'm sure I've heard this one a few times before, all I can remember is that dash problems are a common problem on focus's and can be fixed by taking out the instrument cluster and cleaning the connections at the back.

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec 2002 - Focus 1.6 instument panel dead - willow

Hi! I am more than aware of the speedo problem with the focus 2002, as I had this problem with mine, that was corrected by repacing the speedo sensor. As for both instruments going down, sounds like the infamous cluster problem that your Ford dealer is well aware of (so don't listen to any arguments) and will replace at a cost of £99 - was considerably more, till BBC Watchdog exposed the fault on national television and embarrassed Ford into getting their figure out and reducing costs.

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec 2002 - Focus 1.6 instument panel dead - islandman

thanks for the replies.

The Focus is only my second car so not used that much. Tried it yesterday and drove to local shop with no instruments. On starting up again all the dials went to max for a few secs and after that worked perfectly ----- and have continued to do so ........ so far.

Funnily enough, about a week ago I left a window open when it rained and it got damp inside. Not badly wet but enough to mist up easily and smell damp but nothing a bit of fine weather window open driving won't cure.

There could well be some connection and I will see what happens over the coming weeks.

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec 2002 - Focus 1.6 instument panel dead - willow

With respect to Tommk4: The cleaning of the contacts on the back of the cluster is a sort term fix and more often than not does not solve the problem. The intermittent problem you have described is often a precursor to instrument failure - I hope not. My speedo played up for several months, until one day it just stopped working altogether. Typical Ford electrics :(

Edited by willow on 18/04/2010 at 15:10