What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta mk 4 r reg - R reg fiesta antifreeze - dg83

What colour should it be?

The expansion tank just had water in it and then about it is blue residue about inch higher clinging to the walls of the expansion tank. Does this mean the wrong antifreeze is in the car?

Thanks in advance

Ford Fiesta mk 4 r reg - R reg fiesta antifreeze - Peter.N.

Any antifreeze is better than none at all, could be that its had leak sometime and has only been topped up with water. Dip your finger in the coolant and taste it, should be quite sweet, if you can only taste water, that's all youv'e got.

Ford Fiesta mk 4 r reg - R reg fiesta antifreeze - Victorbox

I think the change over to pink/red antifreeze was about 2001 onwards so it is likely your R reg would have had ethylene glycol (blue or green) antifreeze rather than the later OAT pink/red stuff. A Ford expert will be along soon. If it is flushed completely you can probably use the later stuff but I'm not sure - just don't mix the two types.

Ford Fiesta mk 4 r reg - R reg fiesta antifreeze - dg83

I know my better half did put some blue antifreeze in and some water, a while back. Had it already had OaT and she put blue in we would have had had a problem by now surely?

Ford Fiesta mk 4 r reg - R reg fiesta antifreeze - Victorbox

a small quantity of diluted blue antifreeze may not be an issue but scum around expansion bottle may indicate the two didn't like mixing. If you are sure there is sufficient strength OaT pink stuff in there just top us with the ready mixed OaT from Halfords. However, it does sound like it could be time for a flush and full re-charge.

Edited by Victorbox on 20/03/2010 at 17:51