What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus Zetec X reg brake issues - Ford Focus Brake Issues - john_crossland

Did post up here a little while ago but wasn't that clear and didnt get a lot of help.

I have just had new Discs and Pads fitted to my focus about 1000 miles ago now.

After having the new hardward i noted that when I apply the brakes there is a single knock. coming originally from one side but now from both. interestingly no matter how softly i apply the brakes it still makes an identical noise. a loud single "knock" or "click"

This problem has got gradually louder and more prominent untill now it also knocks and rattles a lot going over bumps.

Interestingly when going over bumps with the brakes lightly applied the rattle stops!

My thoughts are that the pads they have fitted are cheap and dont fit the calliper properly so they are moving around. I have looked at it but doesnt appear "loose"

Also note that the knock heard when applying the brakes only does so going forward and the brakes do not knock in reverse which would say to me that the pads arn't loose. just a bad fit.

I was worried it could be something else but the fact it stops when the brakes are on tells me that it is most likely the pads rattling and when pressure is applied the pads are held in place and the rattly stops.

I was planning on getting new genuine ford pads fitted.

Does this sound like im on the right track?? has anyone had a similar issue? what was it?

Ford Focus Zetec X reg brake issues - Ford Focus Brake Issues - piston power

Yes id agree with you they may be cheap pads sligtly smaller were they sit in the brake pad carrier and as you say rattle.

But with brake off and wheel off you should be able to make them move if this is the case try using a screwdriver to prise them.

Mintex is what i fit or genuine even Luk, don't bother with cheap stuff not worth the bother.