What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Focus LX 05 99k. £3999. Thoughts plse? - Lappers
I'm going to look at a Silver 5door Focus LX with 99k and screen price of 3999. Looks in good nick. thought I would try this Forum lark. Anyone help with thoughts? Thank, Paul
Focus LX 05 99k. £3999. Thoughts plse? - Jcoventry
Check carefully for rust, as far as I know these Focuses have a few rust problems that Ford later fixed.
Focus LX 05 99k. £3999. Thoughts plse? - lucklesspedestrian
Seems a bit pricey for the high miles?

I bought an 05 1.6 (115) LX with 41K on the clock back in May in a private sale for £4150.

Make sure the timing belt was done (75K I think) and stating the bleedin' obvious but at 99K suspension components and clutch might be starting to go, so detailed FSH is going to be crucial.

Decent cars, ours has no problems with rust but they can suffer from road noise and the 1.6 petrol isn't hugely economical.

Oh and BTW the radio reception esp on MW/LW on ours is rubbish, don't know if this is a design fault or if we were just unlucky!
Focus LX 05 99k. £3999. Thoughts plse? - Waino
but they can suffer from road noise>>

Agreed
and the 1.6 petrol isn't hugely economical.>>

Depends what you call "economical". My wife's 1.6 Chic will do 44mpg on a long run and on today's filling, recorded 38.94mpg (brim to brim) - but this was with some cold starts/short journeys. I don't think we've ever obtained below 37mpg. [IMHO, it's a strong contender for "the best car ever made" ;-) ]

However, I've a feeling these engines can drink significantly more if thrashed or used on short runs.
Focus LX 05 99k. £3999. Thoughts plse? - sandy56
seems way to much for this high mileage car.
You would better of with a older lower mileage model.
Focus LX 05 99k. £3999. Thoughts plse? - Waino
I thought it looked a bit too expensive but, looking at What Car's (web) valuation, it seems about right for a dealer price.
Focus LX 05 99k. £3999. Thoughts plse? - Rattle
Forget it, the 1.6 seems to wear a bit more quickly than the 1.8, I looked at a few Focus 1.6's at this milleage and the engines showed a bit of signs of wear but the rest of the car is sound. At £3k its well worth the risk, at £4k I am sure you can find a much better car without a question mark over its longetivity.

Focus LX 05 99k. £3999. Thoughts plse? - WorkshopTech
A near 5 year old Focus 1.6 with 100k miles for £4k - no way!
Focus LX 05 99k. £3999. Thoughts plse? - dieselfitter
For comparison, I bought a 2005/54 MkII Focus Zetec with 49000 miles for £4000 last October. This was a private sale - dealers' prices are generally higher.
Focus LX 05 99k. £3999. Thoughts plse? - NickS
Where does the OP say it's a 1.6? I had presumed a 1.8/2.0 TDCI with those miles. If thats the case, then £4k doesnt seem too bad to me. Maybe haggle for £500 off depending on condition etc.........

I had an '06 1.8 TDCI Focus as my company wheels for 9 months and it didnt miss a beat in the 12k I put on top of the 80k it had already done. Not as refined as other diesels i've driven, and dreadful low down torque (compared with my 2.0 PD Golf anyway). Interior let the car down a bit IMO, but overall a good car.
Focus LX 05 99k. £3999. Thoughts plse? - geordiesteve
I think 05 was the changeover year from mk1 to mk2. I've seen mk2's wearing '54' plates and mk1's wearing '05' plates, so we need to establish which shape it is. Might not be a bad deal if it's the mk2 more squared shape.
Focus LX 05 99k. £3999. Thoughts plse? - Rattle
I may be wrong but wasn't LX a MK1 trim?
Focus LX 05 99k. £3999. Thoughts plse? - geordiesteve
It was also available on the early mark 2's. Had alot of mk2 LX's at a hire company that I used to work for and they were pretty basic. I think it was later replaced by the 'Style' model with those naff 'alloy look' plastic wheeltrims.