What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
New car for Long distance road trips! - Tomuk
Hi All

Im looking for some advice on a used car to purchase, i have recently decided that i will be doing a lot of traveling around the place and i will be doing a lot of travel in europe. Me and my friends will be traveling long distances and some of our planned journeys will include UK to Finland (1800miles) London to Paris, and UK to Alps etc... you get the idea, some long journeys planned.
I plan on purchasing a used car with a Max of £2000 and i want to get the best for my cash.
I will be looking for fuel economy, reliability, and most of all Safe and comfortable. I have had a look at some estate cars, people carriers etc but so much choice and i need some advice on what i should really be looking for. Has any one driven long distances for the same price? and how did you get on?

What cars would you lean towards and what would you avoid?

Many thanks!

Tom
New car for Long distance road trips! - stunorthants26
Pug 406 diesel estate? Im sure some of them are reliable, plenty as taxis.
New car for Long distance road trips! - volcane

A 00 or 01 Audi A4 Avant 110/115/130 TDi. Efficient and capable of big miles
New car for Long distance road trips! - Avant
I'd go for as new a Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI as you can afford. The estate is ideal but the hatchback might be cheaper and has lots of room in the boot. Make sure it's had a cambelt change when it should have. It has the same engine as the Audi suggested above but you'll get a newer one for your money.

That said, at your budget condition is more important than make of car.

Edited by Avant on 06/12/2009 at 23:21

New car for Long distance road trips! - Manatee
Mondeo.
New car for Long distance road trips! - M.M
The Mondeo III is probably the most roomy & refined tourer in your price range... not brilliant on fuel though if you go for the safe petrol option.

I really like the Skodas but the age you will be looking at they are much less refined than the Mondeo..... lots of road/wind/suspension noise.
New car for Long distance road trips! - Dave_TD
What cars would you lean towards and what would you avoid?

As has been put forward on the forum before, look at the cars taxi drivers operate. They depend on their cars' reliability to earn them a living - there's no money to be earned on a Friday night if the car packs up after two hours. They also value comfort, space and low running costs. Make sure you choose a model that's popular in Europe too, in case it does need fixing 900 miles away.

That narrows it down to Octavia, Mondeo, 406 and Avensis IMO.

Edited by Dave_TD {P} on 07/12/2009 at 00:27

New car for Long distance road trips! - cheddar
If you only need the car for these trips then £2000 will get you 6 to 8 weeks in a decent hire car.
New car for Long distance road trips! - Mr.Tee43
Yes, but there is 0 residual value. Buy a "rightun" and you could very possibly sell it on and get all your money back.
New car for Long distance road trips! - Altea Ego
£2000 buys you a lot of train tickets.
New car for Long distance road trips! - NickS
Avensis. My parents have had one since new in 1998, and it has never missed a beat with regular servicing. £1k should cover you nicely, leaving you £1k for repairs/consumables associated with the miles you talk about.

If not, consider a Camry of similar vintage (v.cheap but not many around). For some reason unloved on UK shores.

I agree with Altea Ego though, train is a far better option.