What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
95 1.2 belt change - mclw
Hi both my power steering belt and the 'other' one (not sue if it cam belt , fan belt, alternator belt!!!!!! I'm sure you know which one it is :S) have both snapped! I have purchased the belts from halfords but just need some advice on how to actually change them please! I have a haynes manual but its too technical for me! :( So if anyone can translate into easier terms please that will be brilliant!
Thanks in advance,
Lucy
95 1.2 belt change - Chris M

Edited by Chris M on 06/12/2009 at 11:47

Timed out the first time.

You will have an alternator belt, a power steering belt and a timing belt. Plus an air con one if you are really lucky! Assuming the belts that have snapped are the ones you can see (the timing belt is under a cover) and you don't have air con, read Haynes really carefully whilst looking at the engine to try and visualise what it's telling you. If you still don't get it, I think it's better to take the car to a garage. If the job's not done to at least a reasonable standard, you risk being left stranded somewhere you would rather not be, late at night when it's raining.............
Ok I have read the manual, and managed to change the power steering belt, but there is two 'cogs' for the alternator belt and the manual doesnt seem to say which one to put belt on? now i'm confused lol
Sorry, haven't been on since yesterday. Are you now sorted?
I am with the power steering belt, but the other one there are two 'cogs' and cannot work out which one!
Sorry, but I'm having trouble visualising what you are referring to.

The 'cogs' I take to be pulleys. What are they attached to? Also, what are the belts like? Are they V shaped about 10mm wide or flat, about 20mm wide with groves running along the length?
Hi sorry I'm not being the best at describing! There are two pulleys both atatched to engine, one for power steering and one for alternator, I'm unsure if I have put the power steering on the correct one now! would it not work if I had? the belt is the first one you described. Thank you for your help it is really appreciated.
95 1.2 belt change - Victorbox
Generally if you run a straight edge laid across the outside edge of the alternator or power steering pump pulley it will be obvious which belt goes to which pulley on the engine.
ok thank you will try in daylight and keep you informed of my progress! Thanks again. Lucy
Haynes says you have to remove the power steering belt to change the alternator belt. Therefore the alternator will be the inner belt. HTH.