What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
New 2nd hand car - Andy22
ok, i'm sick of my 406, its problematic. i'm setting a budget of 9K-10K for a new car and i suspect i will probably own it for 5 years. I do about 10,000 mile pa and i don't like super mini's or medium sized cars, i want a bigger car like a 406.

So what should i get, max of 30K on the clock and totally flawless reliability, i.e. nothing should be spent on the car in those 5 years apart from consumables (asking a lot i know)

Undecided over diesel or petrol, and i must be proud of it.

I am only young so i don't know whats good/bad so i need help.
Also at the time of buying i want it to feel new even if 3 years old, ie look brand new.

ok what do i get?
New 2nd hand car - Phil G
Top of the range Skoda Octavia TDI. Looks nice in metallics and alloys - its the sort of car that would be easy to live with for 5 years. Estate ones more practical than the hatches and look better too imo.

Old model Audi A4 also falls into your price range and would fit the bill nicely. Also likely to hold its value relatviely well.

Also new Mondeos are hard to beat but are bound to haemorrage value, it will be worth buttons in 5 years.
New 2nd hand car - Blue {P}
Check out www.trade-sales.co.uk

They do new Mondys etc. at very good prices which will help off-set the depreciation slightly, but you're still gonna lose a lot of money on whatever you buy. I paid over £3000 less than the list price for my new Fiesta! :)

As Phil has said, the new Mondeos are hard to beat for quality/reliability. Just make sure that you steer clear of a Laguna!
interesting, but the new mondeos are only just out, problems could be round the corner.

and i said a car to be proud of not a skoda, i know their better than they were but come on!

i'm not talking about brand new you know maybe 20-30k on the clock for £10,000

I honestly thought a mercedes or bmw might be on the cards!

is that not possible on that budget
New 2nd hand car - blank
Check out reliability surveys if that is really your over-riding priority. IIRC, the predictable winners in the survey recetly published by Which magazine were Mazda, Toyota and Honda. Nissan not quite so brilliant but good. BMW, Merc, Audi, VW, Volvo etc all total crap by comparison. But those cars (arguably) are more interesting.
Have you driven a Focus? Lots of very nice ecamples for 9k and best reliability in a recent German report which some-one will no doubt be able to refer you to properly
The new Mondys have been out since X reg, that's quite a while for any problems to have been discovered.

However as Andy says, a Toyota would be excellent, you certainly won't be proud of it, but it will give you painless motoring for 5 years no problem.

Failing that, a nice Focus should be ideal, they handle superbly, are cheap to maintain, good economy, and if you buy a Ghia they're fully loaded equipment wise.

I suppose you copuld be looking at a BMW or Merc in your budget, but they're expensive to maintain in comparison to a Ford. I'm sure that even Quinten Wilson (sp?) has said that the new Mondeo is as well made as a BMW 3 series!

But at the end of the day, you have got to get a car that appeals to your heart as well as your head. I personally wouldn't miond a new Skoda Octaiva, i think they're really smart looking cars.
New 2nd hand car - El Hacko
or how about a "well made" MG ZR - a colleague bought a new one recently (as he explained, "for the engine really - it's the best part, what a performance". Sad then that after five weeks, it has to have a comnpletely new engine because of oil leaks. He's thinking of suing for a scrubdown of his driveway!

El Hacko
New 2nd hand car - Dogbreath
I saw a black Avensis estate at the dealers last week for £10k - it looked superb
i see what your getting at but i want to pose a little i suppose, and that works best in a bmw or merc, c'mon are they honestly that bad, i thought they were supposed to be built like a rock?

S98 onwards surely nothing can go wrong with a approved 30K miler?
New 2nd hand car - madf
Hmm say you pay £10k.. and keep for 5 years : 50K miles. So after that it will have 80K miles on the clock and been serviced every year.

IF you buy a BMW,Audi or Merceds you must budget on repairs/maintenance about £500 per year. incl MOT and tyres
Depreciation: about £1400 per year.
Insurance about £300 - £400 per year.

Buy any Japanese and you can halve the maintenance and leave the rest the same but save £100 or so on insurance.

Having had all 3 - Mercedes, Audi and BMW - as company or private cars - I'd buy Japanese or a Ford.
The prestige models may look nice but over that mileage they WILL break down and be unreliable..

And as someone who lives where we get snow, I would never ever buy another rear wheel drive car. They are undriveable in snow in modern traffic imo..Try a BMW 3 or 5 Series in 2 inches of snow and if you get up a hill without stopping or round a bend downhill without spinning you are doing well..

And for what you get for your money Japanese or Ford are much better value..

i'm gutted now,i really wanted one.

don't know what to do now, i tell you what i've always wanted though, misubishi evolution 6!

apart from insurance does that sound more japanese to you?

New 2nd hand car - madf
If you can afford the fuel, go for it.. but will £10k be enough?
maybe not quite enough.

it's only 2litre should get a good 33mpg i would think.

Maybe i'll do some research on car reliability, where can i look on the internet for something like jd power survey, cos i've looked for that before and couldn't find anything at all, even on the jd power website.

or any other car survey would be helpful
Just to confuse this a little more. BMW, Merc etc. are still very reliable cars, possibly still a fraction more reliable than a Ford or maybe even a Toyota IMO. We've got a 96 P BMW and it still runs fine, it's low mileage though (36,000). We've not had anything major go wrong with it, except a couple of engine oil seals and a suspension bush.

If you wanna pose a bit, then get a Merc, BMWs no longer have any pose value, 'cos they're common as muck now.

On the other hand, if you want to enjoy similar levels of reliability, comfort etc. at a (possibly much) lower cost then go with the Ford, or maybe even the Toyota.
New 2nd hand car - blank
My comment to this is that it is apalling that a 36k mile so-called quality car needs oil seals and suspension bushes.
Well, it did only need one rear suspension bush, but we were very surprised about the oil seal. Of course other than that, the car has been OK. But then our old 97 P Micra with 50,000 miles on it needed no mechanical work in the couple of years that we had it, and it hadn't been serviced for 20,000 miles. It did need an engine tune up though, we got an extra 4 - 5 mpg after that! :)

So all in all, extra maintence apart from servicing cost us £41. In the whole time we had the Micra. :)

I was just illustrating to Andy22 that while BMWs are very reliable, they aren't the holy grail of reliability and are very well rivalled by a modern Ford, let alone a Japanese car..
Andy - at least whatever car you get has to be more reliable than your Pug! ;)
New 2nd hand car - svpworld
£10K will get you a stunning Omega! Might not have the image but will be wonderful drive!

S.

You'd manage a decent Imprezza Turbo if you bought VERY carefully. Excellent reliability, just expensive maintenance.
Ok then, so where can a find a car survey online like jd power survey?
New 2nd hand car - blank
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1470045.stm#map

Is the Which/Consumers association report reproduced by the BBC
New 2nd hand car - TrevorP
To find J D Power survey results:-

go to What Car website,
then News
then "more" under "Buying and Owning"

BUT be prepared for news you will NOT like -
Best family car - Skoda Octavia.
New 2nd hand car - madf
"36k mile so-called quality car needs oil seals and suspension bushes. "

That's why I say do not buy prestige cars. The Japanese (and Ford now) have learnet that reliability is TOTAL. Frankly after my experiences with the prestige models you are paying a premium price for premium bodies and trim and frankly definitely not top quality components. (the basic engines etc are fine). Since it's the components that fail on a modern car usually, why buy substandard?

Oil seals , suspension bushes, cambelts : all those fail on 2-5 year old premium cars. On 10 year old Japanese cars do they? Most unlikely.

Well built cars should last 100,000 miles before any failure of these parts .

And the service backup in terms of the quality of work done is poor (forget the swish showrooms, reception, courtesy cars etc) I had bits fall and break on Mercedes, oil seals and trim fail on BMWs and a long list of failures on an Audi . Fords? Zero.

JD Power rate the Japanese No 1,2,3 etc and Ford highly.

(I drove an Audi A2 on a test drive: could not engage 5th gear until it had driven 10 miles and that was a courtesy car! What message did that give to users? )

New 2nd hand car - andymc {P}
Would a 2 year old Seat Leon (Cupra if you want higher performance or TDi SE if you want a mix of performance and economy/reliability) be available for £10k? Or a Toledo V6?
New 2nd hand car - CM
Or how about (the Vectra based) Saab 9-3 or 9-5. Buy it cheap and then take it to Abbot Racing to get it tarted up.
i wounldn't want a seat badge, and probably not saab, sorry its just personal taste.

im thinking japanese but still a bit of a pose, maybe even reducing the size of the car down to a honda civic type R, hatch backs aren't as small as they used to be.

Also i'm interested in safety, ie a big car being safer. Where can i find crash test results of ALL cars?

that would be brilliant, i'm starting to even it down now.
New 2nd hand car - PB
>>and probably not saab<<

I ran a Saab 9-5 recently for a couple of months, bought pretty much on impulse. I usually go German but I was really impressed, I'll probably have another. 99T/90k but everything looked and drove like it had just been run in. I would go for the 2.3T auto. Also was the safest Euro car until the new Laguna came out.

Another thing, use any logic you like to justify the car you want, but whatever you get I reckon you'll keep it for 3 years maximum. It's just the way it is...
New 2nd hand car - eMBe {P}
I should have said also look at HJ's FAQ14

www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=28

I think HJ has said on a number of occasions that answers to most questions are usually found by checking his FAQs first.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/index.htm
First, just a word of warning regarding BMW, Merc or other "poser" cars - in addition to the usual costs of ownership, you have to allow for yobs who will take every opportunity to target the car to damage it or even to steal it.

1. For good priced bargains, and guide to how much you should pay, check out "greattradecentre.co.uk" for stock and prices - see link in HJ's FAQ4.

2. For information such as car reliability surveys and crash test data, you can do the following -

a. first do a search on this site using the search field at the top

b. use a search engine such as " google.co.uk " or
" www.teoma.com/ " and type in

car reliability survey results
OR
European NCAP safety tests

and you will get all the information you could want.

ok, i'm going to look about on the net, some final thoughts from people of what they would buy with 10K for trouble free motoring but i nice looking car that you can't help but keep looking at cos it looks so nice?
New 2nd hand car - JohnnyBoy
Have you thought about a Rover 75?
Styling wise, they're a love them or loathe them car though - very dependent on personal taste.
i like the rover 75 but reliabilty is unknown as far as i know.
New 2nd hand car - JohnnyBoy
I've heard no bad reports, or seen any threads on this site about Rover 75 problems; I know they only came out in 1999, but the Citroen C5 only came out in 2001 and gets plenty of gripes on this forum!
The insurance is a bonus - group 8...I've thought long & hard about a 1995or6 BMW 525tds, but am put off by the jump in insurance from my group 7 Mondeo to a group 15 Beamer.
Parkers online guide is also worth a look if you want to compare reliability.
I've heard that the 75 is the best car that Rover ever made, I know that doesn't say much but it is supposed to be fairly reliable.
New 2nd hand car - Dizzy {P}
Yes, the 75 is definitely the best BMW that Rover ever made! ;-)
Exactly! :)
New 2nd hand car - blank
I have seen 2 with burned front ends, on motorway hard shoulders. Not comprehensive knowledge, I admit!
New 2nd hand car - misterp
How about a Toyota Camry (badged as a lexus in some parts) or a mitsubishi Galant both packed to the hilt with goodies,bullet proof build not a yobo target.
i understand the toyota reliability thing, but i just couldn't be proud of it, not something i can pose in.

The misubishi i do like, like i've said the evo 6.

i have to be honest i'm being pursuaded by japan and i love the civic type R, not too sure about the gear stick situated where it is, any owners can comment on this?
i understand the toyota reliability thing, but i just couldn't be
proud of it, not something i can pose in.

This is precisely why Toyota made "Lexus" a separate brand name. The Lexus IX200 is worth a look. In the USA, the Lexus brand has more kudos than a Merc or BMW. It is tending to go that way here too, because, as someone has already said, BMWs are now too common. We have the excellent 5 series E39 Sports as our main car for long distance driving, but will look at the Lexus in preference to the 3 series for town driving as our 2nd car replacement.
New 2nd hand car - Jase
Andy22,

Sorry if this is rude but having followed this thread, it seems like you actually rate posing and speed over reliability. So far you have mentioned the Evo6 and Type-R. For your budget, you won't be able to get either because they are not that cheap yet and if you found a £9K Scooby then it will be leggy and will cost you a lot of money when bits start falling off. Hence failing to meet your original reliability criteria.

Considering your budget I think you've set yourself an impossible target. If you want bombproof reliabity at £9K-10K this tends to lead to modern Japanese cars and maybe Fords. Yet you say these cars don't meet your pose requirements. Older flasher performance motors meet your Max-Power posing needs, yet due to their age and higher stressed engine are going to suffer failures.

You either need more money or more realistic aims.

CavV6 and cavWeb fan.
www.cavweb.co.uk
yeah i do see what your saying. i'm able to go to 11k so i'm flexible.

with due respect though the car i'm going to own for the next 5 years must be exactly what i want and i must be 100% happy with it, as i'm sure you can understand.

its simple though, i want flawless reliability, but a car that looks good with a good repuation and not common, so only i know what that is so its just a matter of cutting it down to that.

i must admit i do like the look of the lexus and i've also noticed the top position the the 'what car' survey.
New 2nd hand car - PB
>>i want flawless reliability, but a car that looks good with a good repuation and not common, so only i know what that is so its just a matter of cutting it down to that.<<

Well why didn't you say?!? What you need is a Mistubishi Galant VR4. Also known as Legnum on import. 280bhp 4WD, check out the car-by-car breakdown. You won't get the age/mileage you want for your budget but shouldn't be too far off. I have the 2.5V6, very good car, great value with every extra on it so I wouldn't doubt that the VR4 is good fun/money.

PB.
"its simple though, i want flawless reliability, but a car that looks good with a good repuation and not common"

Interesting.

I do not think such a animal exists at £20K, let alone £10k.
New 2nd hand car - Motel
I have just bought a rover 75 conn diesel auto just clocked up
1000 miles this is one of the most comfortable cars that i have been in the comfort is 100% it just purr's along giving appox 40 to the gallon mixed local and motorway and can expect it to get better i changed for a volvo 740 that is also very comfortable take a ride in a 75 good hunting motel
New 2nd hand car - J Bonington Jagworth
"..you have to allow for yobs who will take every opportunity to target the car to damage it or even to steal it."

Another good reason for buying the Skoda! Why do badges matter so much?
New 2nd hand car - Slender
Lexus LS 400 is the way to go.

Total reliability, subtle road presence due to its traditional style but huge physical size, massive acceleration and fair fuel consunption: 20mpg around town for a 4.0 litre V8 seems pretty good to me.

For £11K you could buy the 1995 LS from a main dealer in Cleveland with a 3 year Lexus Warranty included in the price.

Needless to say, all the goodies you could wish for are included - with the only exception of an on-board computer.

The mileage will be just sub 100K but that will not be an issue. These leviathans will take 200K plus in their stride. Insurance may be your only real issue. At 34 I can get fully comp cover in the West Mids for around £600 with a £225XS. Even that ain`t bad in this day and age.

Good luck.
sorry to carry this on but, a sub 100k is no good.

i'm looking nearly new ie max 30k miles and not 20 mpg.

this is starting to get out of hand and i don't know how to save it. ok a run down of what has been establised:

-nearly new sub 30k miles
-japanese(probably)
-badge to be proud of (or model)
-pretty fast
-11k max price
-trouble free, consumables only for the next 5 years
-may not buy for 6 months or so
New 2nd hand car - Jase
Aaaggh,

Your requirements versus budget limitations leave no matching cars. If you had £15K you could do it but not £10k. You need to be more realistic. Either modern Japanese to meet reliabity requirements, or more money to meet all requirements. (Type-R etc..)

Everyone on this site would be in this mythical car if one existed!

CavV6 and cavWeb fan.
www.cavweb.co.uk
Best I can do:-

NEW Hyundai Coupe - 5 year warranty.

insurance group - 10 for 2.0, mpg - 34

list £16.5k (target price - £15.5k?)

(Evo 6 - ins.group 20, mpg about 20)
not bad but a hyundia is not the badge i want.

anyway evo 6 20 mpg, you've got to be joking me you'll get 30 its only a 2 litre, the turbo doesn't use fuel does it?
New 2nd hand car - Maz
If you can wait a while the beautiful mazda6 might fall within your reach.

failing that I'd suffest an Integra Type R.
New 2nd hand car - simonjc
Mazda 6 1.8s available from Motorpoint brand new £11299.
New 2nd hand car - NeilT
Having had 3 Primeras, a Mk1 1.6LX, Mk2 2.0GT and a Mk3 1.8 Sport (company car) i'd pick the Primera.......

Out of all the 2.0 was the best fun, the 1.8 the smoothest. A nice Y or 51 reg 2.0 Sport+ with HID headlamp and 16" alloys can be bought for less than £10k, they might look at bit boring, but nothing it's size can get you down an A-road with so much fun!!!

Neil T
SEAT Leon TDi 150
New 2nd hand car - Jase
Presumably you're just trying to wind us all up now. Do you really think that an Evo6 with 280BHP will return the same mpg as say a 2 litre normally aspirated Vectra with 136HP? Of course a turbo uses extra fuel, the turbo forces the engine to turn at higher revs to force more induction, to create more power which is the whole point.

More revs = more fuel.

I guess if you never used the turbo you'd mayve return 30mpg, but then why by an Evo6 to not use it.

I know, why don't you buy a normal 1.6 newish Lancer and then spend £000s buying a comedy bodykit + wheels from the adverts at the back of Max Poo magazine. Then you could nick an EvoVI badge and hey presto and economical cloned EvoVI to meet your cost, reliability and pose needs.

..Or you could by a nearly new Avensis, solve the case and stop sending daft posts
CavV6 and cavWeb fan.
www.cavweb.co.uk
my apologies for not knowing how a turbo works, not everyone is mechanically minded thats why i'm on the forum!

to the helpful people.... yes i must admit i like the look of the mazda 6, and i hear it too is very reliable.
New 2nd hand car - RichardW
Not exactly, Jase....

The turbo compresses the intake air. When the cylinder is then filled it contains more mass of air (but the same volume). More mass of air means you can add more mass of fuel, which results in a bigger bang, and hence more power. At a given speed a turbo charged engine will inject more fuel than a normally aspirated one, and hence use more (course, on a diesel where you can run the engine very lean this doesn't always apply, and the TD are often on a par with the N/A engines).

I reckon an Evo / Scooby would be lucky to return 20mpg....(you also nearly lose your teeth, as they forgot to put any suspension in!)

You'er right though, Andy is looking for something that doesn't exist - and asking others what they think about cars is always going to be controversial as people like all sorts. I couldn't care a stuff about what other people think - I want a car that gets from A to B, rasonably swiftly, in comfort, reliably, and doesn't cost the earth to run. For these reasons I run Citroen turbo diesels, and not new ones at that!

Richard
New 2nd hand car - blank
Richard
I reckon an Evo / Scooby would be lucky to return
20mpg....(you also nearly lose your teeth, as they forgot to put any suspension in!)

No experience of Evo, but the standard suspension on the Scooby Turbo is very compliant and comfortable, you wouldn't believe how it can corner and handle as well as it does whilst giving a comfortable ride. Of course lots of people destroy the great standard ride/handling compromise by fitting stiffer springs!

My friend who is the owner of Scoob reckons mid 20's mpg if driven gently, which drops below 20 on a thrash.
>>
well thats definitely the evo out the window, cos i can't afford that miles per gallon.