What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Locally overpriced S/H cars - lucklesspedestrian
Hi there

I live near Perth in Scotland and have been aware for some time that a car with a windscreen price of say £5K in Glasgow/the central belt or even the north of England will usually be at least a grand more expensive here in Perth.

I noticed this today on a well known internet auction site:

tinyurl.com/yftybns

Okay, it's in good nick, but £5K for a car coming up for 12 years old, they have to be kidding!?

Has anyone noticed a similar phenomenon around where they live or equally, can anyone offer an explanation as to why these price differentials exist?

Needless to say, I don't buy my cars locally!
Locally overpriced S/H cars - Westpig
The South West where I come from has always cost more for cars, compared to say London or the North of England. Having said that you can often get a better trade in price.
Locally overpriced S/H cars - Rattle
Supply and demand. Where I live in south Manchester small cars are a lot more expensive than say in the Yorkshire Dales.
Locally overpriced S/H cars - bell boy
Having had the misfortune to buy small cars that come from up a dirt track via an auction i can assure you rattle you dont want them as corrosion in the box sections is usually advanced on most of them because they never dry out properly underneath
Locally overpriced S/H cars - Rumfitt
Actually, there's a 'golden triangle' area of cheap cars in the north west of England - bit like the Bermuda Triangle, but for cars! Anything within this triangle, which takes in all the Bs - Blackburn, Bury, Bolton - is usually for sale at very competitive prices, from the many small traders that overpopulate the region.

The only trouble is separating the wheat from the chaff - I don't know how dodgy some of the London or Glaswegian traders can be, but a grim northern motor trader can be grimmer than the grimmest Mancunian skyline...
Locally overpriced S/H cars - ifithelps
...golden triangle...

I've noticed that area tends to be cheaper than elsewhere for other things as well.

Fuel, property and beer are three examples.
Locally overpriced S/H cars - Rattle
Well living in the southern part of the country (e.g south of Deansgate :p) it does mean that prices are not too much of a shock when going down south (e.g Brighton).

North Manchester in general seems to be cheaper than South for most things. There is a huge amount of traders down Bury New Road and I had a good look at a lot of their cars. My conclusion was if I was going to buy a wreck which needed a lot of work I may as well just get one from an auction directly.

They advertise these places as trade places so they think they can get out of any warranty obligations.
Locally overpriced S/H cars - Armitage Shanks {p}
A long time ago a colleague made a steady living, using a car transporter to take small cars to London area from Scotland and bring back large comfy gas guzzlers. For a while he made a living exploiting the supply/demand and price differentials
Locally overpriced S/H cars - burpie
That Audi appears to be a Jap import IMO.Might be in great condition, but the potential buyer will probably never know the car's real history.
Locally overpriced S/H cars - Falkirk Bairn
Dicksons are importers of low mileage Japanese cars- many appear to be "as new" despite being say 10 yrs old - ideal place for ITV to buy "Collision Part II"
Not even with an HPI check, or similar?
Locally overpriced S/H cars - burpie
Not even with an HPI check or similar?

Only from the time the car's been in the country.
Sorry I've never had an HPI check! Surely it should note something along the lines of

Build Date June 2006
Date reg in UK August 2009

demonstrating a 3 year gap in the history