What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
best place to buy car mats? - Chris Adams
Hi,

After reading the advice in HJ's CBC breakdown, this forum and What Car? magazine over a period of many months, I eventually bought a black Ford Focus LX 1.6 petrol (113 bhp), 2006 06 reg, from Carcraft in Staines, Chertsey.

I am basically happy with the car except for its slightly boring interior, handbrake on the left hand side, and apparently poor fuel economy (but having said that, I mainly do short journeys in London). Also being a dopey sod I didn't initially notice that the car had a no smoking sticker (and a few other stickers) inside the windscreen, so I'm guessing it's probably an ex-rental?

Carcraft didn't supply any car mats with the Focus, so I'm just wondering if any of you friendly people know a good place to buy them, either online or in a shop?

Many thanks,
Chris

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/10/2009 at 14:38

Ford Focus - best place to buy car mats? - b308
47 views and no answers? Surprised at you, chaps!

The answer, Chris, is just about anywhere... it depends on what you want, ebay will supply you with loads of different ones as will an Motor store (such as Halfords) and even some of those High Street cheapo shops have them... take your pick!!

Probably right about its previous use unless it had a private owner who didn't like smokers! And petrol cars aren't the best for constant town driving and economy either!

BTW my handbrake is on my left, isn't that where most of them are... or am I missing something?! ;)

Edited by b308 on 11/10/2009 at 10:14

Ford Focus - best place to buy car mats? - Dutchie
Hi, Chris
I got some nice mats for the daughter from B&Q and rubber mats for the front well.Halfords but they are more expensive unless they have a offer.I have not ordered mats on line but there will be places i reckon.If the car is ex rental i wouldt worry as long the car has been serviced regulary .
Ford Focus - best place to buy car mats? - jc2
Depends what you want;Ford dealer will have shaped ones that fit perfectly or any accessory shop.Argos offer a set that can be cut to shape-all four for £6.99!!!

Edited by jc2 on 11/10/2009 at 10:29

Ford Focus - best place to buy car mats? - maz64
I'm just wondering if any
of you friendly people know a good place to buy them either online or in
a shop?

Have you checked your local Ford dealer? That's where I got mine from - I reckoned it was best to get proper Ford ones (they fit very nicely into the footwells), and IIRC they weren't that expensive.
Ford Focus - best place to buy car mats? - cuthbert 1
You could have a look at this site I have never used them but asked for a sample to be sent and they looked okay and the sample came when they said it would

www.carmats4u.com/Ford/cid,438,index.html

www.carmats4u.com/Ford-Focus-2005-Onwards/cid,8974...l

Edited by cuthbert 1 on 11/10/2009 at 10:51

Ford Focus - best place to buy car mats? - maz64
You could have a look at this site

Are they a precise fit the way the Ford ones are? I would first check they are actually cheaper (after including postage of course), then decide whether the saving is worthwhile.
Ford Focus - best place to buy car mats? - ifithelps
Strictly speaking, I think all company cars, certainly multi-user ones, should have no smoking signs because the interiors are deemed to be company premises.

So your car could well have been a 'genuine' company car, but I wouldn't worry about it too much, either way.

As Focus says, mats from the Ford dealer will fit well, won't slide about, and are not that expensive.

Edited by ifithelps on 11/10/2009 at 10:51

Ford Focus - best place to buy car mats? - Alby Back
Strictly speaking I think all company cars certainly multi-user ones should have no smoking signs

Yadda yadda yadda...............

Wanders off muttering.....Orwell, nanny state.....worse than Germany.....etc etc
;-)
Careful with that common sense, Humph - you'll not fit well into your brave new corporate world. :)
Ford Focus - best place to buy car mats? - honeybear
Got mine off E Bay genuine ford parts in the bags with all the clips to attach to the floor so they dont slide about as I remember they were about £22 front and rear and the best bit is that they fit properly and go with the interior colour.
Ford Focus - best place to buy car mats? - Ben 10
Couple of years ago I was at Blackbushe (BCA) looking for a second car. Noticed a chap buying up almost all the stock I was interested in.

On the way back home, I stopped in at CarCraft Chertsey to compare prices. Guess who I saw enter the showroom, acknowledge one of the salesmen and sprint up the stairs to an office. Yes the same guy I had seen at Blackbushe that very morning.
So in answer to your question, they do buy fleet, mobility and ex rental stock at auction. Which your vehicle has probably come from.

As to mats, get a Ford set. £30 ish for carpet type, a bit dearer for rubber. They will fit like a glove, so no messing about or weird shape cheapos that could slide and get stuck under the pedals.
Ford Focus - best place to buy car mats? - Old Navy
I have had Costco mats in my Mk2 focus for three years, they fit well and are thick, hard wearing and of good quality. They were moved fron my previous car and are showing minimal heel wear on the drivers mat and will be good for several more years.
Ford Focus - best place to buy car mats? - Manatee
Unfortunately the current Costco rubber mat sets aren't a patch on the heavyweight ones they sold before. I had to replace mine last week because my heel has gone through after 4 years. They are still around the £20 mark as well, so I suspect nothing special.

They have some reasonable looking carpet ones though.
Ford Focus - best place to buy car mats? - Falkirk Bairn
Lidl feature "winter prep" for cars this week

Inc 2 x sets of mats - carpet set + rubber (cut to fit) all under £10 IIRC
Ford Focus - best place to buy car mats? - Old Navy
They have some reasonable looking carpet ones though.

>>
Mine are the carpet ones.
...They were moved fron my previous car and are showing minimal heel wear on the drivers mat and will be good for several more years...

ON,

Didn't know you were a ballet dancer. :)
Ford Focus - best place to buy car mats? - pmh3
Tesco (large stores) sometimes have good value mats. Reasonable quality.
Ford Focus - best place to buy car mats? - Chris Adams
Hi again,

Wow, you guys are fantastic! You truly are a bunch of dedicated car enthusiasts. I mean, car mats are probably one of the few things even more boring than X Factor contestants! It was a great feeling to see so many helpful replies, including from many of the regulars whose advice and comments I used to read almost every day earlier this year when I was looking for a car. This must be one of the best forums on the internet, and I hope to become a regular contributor to this community too. By the way, sorry for not replying and expressing my thanks earlier; I am a bit of an insomniac, hence I originally posted my question at about 4.15 am last night, and it's 4.45 am right now...

My very grateful thanks to everyone for their kind advice and comments. As it's early days for me on this forum, I feel I must thank you all individually for taking the trouble to reply (in future I guess I will just say thanks everyone), so here goes...

b308 - thanks for your advice. When I said that I wasn't too happy with the handbrake being on the left hand side, I could have expressed this better! What I meant was that the handbrake is quite far to the left, i.e. just next to the passenger seat (is this because the car was originally designed as left hand drive and they couldn't be bothered to move the handbrake as well as the steering wheel?). So if a passenger rests his arms a bit beyond the edges of the seat, I often have to request that they move their arm so that I can operate the handbrake! Not a big problem, but I would prefer it in the centre.

Dutchie - yes the car has been serviced regularly (at Ford main dealers), so thanks for allaying my fears about it possibly being an ex-rental.

jc2, Focus {P}, cuthbert 1, honeybear, Old Navy - I will check out my Ford dealer and the shops and websites mentioned.

ifithelps - very interesting view about company cars! (How's the Focus CC running by the way?)

spood - thanks for telling me about Blackbushe (BCA) and the guy buying up all the stock for CarCraft Chertsey. Very interesting indeed!

Manatee, Falkirk Bairn, pmh3 - thanks so much for your comments.

Again, thanks to all and hope to see you on this forum regularly! I think I will try to get a bit more sleep now...