What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
94 1.3 Tightening up a fan belt - Caribou
Hello.

My step-dad replaced the fan belt of my Fiesta and said that I'd need to tighten it up in a couple of weeks.

Well that time has come and I was hoping somebody would be kind enough to explain to me how to do that!

I've looked in the Haynes manual but I'm still not sure what I'm doing and I'm terrified I'm going to completely mess it up.

I'd be so grateful for any pointers / diagrams! Otherwise it's off to the garage, oh the shame . . .

Thanks.
94 1.3 Tightening up a fan belt - bathtub tom
If you can't follow the haynes, I'd recommend you let a garage deal with it.

Having said that, it's probably not necessary to tighten it if it's been fitted properly in the first place - new cars aren't taken back after two weeks.
Okay, just I was told that a new fanbelt would give a little after being fitted and would therefore need to be tightened up after a few weeks.

Off to the garage it is then.

94 1.3 Tightening up a fan belt - Dynamic Dave
Having said that it's probably not necessary to tighten it if it's been fitted properly
in the first place - new cars aren't taken back after two weeks.

New cars have automatic belt tensioners. Quite possibly a 1994 Fiesta hasn't? I can remember on some of my older cars having to adjust the alternator belt a couple of weeks after initial fitting.

94 1.3 Tightening up a fan belt - bathtub tom
>>New cars have automatic belt tensioners. Quite possibly a 1994 Fiesta hasn't?

In '94 it still wouldn't have to go back after a couple weeks!
94 1.3 Tightening up a fan belt - Dynamic Dave
In '94 it still wouldn't have to go back after a couple weeks!

That's because the PDI inspection would have dealt with it before the customer took ownership of it. Contrary to belief, brand new cars aren't actually 'brand new'. The engine will have been run for a few hours - ie, from the production line & loaded onto the transporter. Off the transporter to the storage area / dealership. Shunted around the dealers car lot to give it different viewings, from the front of the row, to the showroom, test drives, etc.

And when digital odometers came along, dealers can (and quite possibly still do) reset the mileage to zero providing it's not done more than 50 or 100 miles.
94 1.3 Tightening up a fan belt - bell boy
2 bolts on bottom of alternator slacken slightly (2 x13mm spanners required,work from underneath)
on top of alternator slightly slacken top bolt where bracket to engine attached,also slightly slacken the 15/17mm? bolt where bracket is attached to engine
put broom handle down back of alternator and use engine block to pull broom towards you so alternator comes forward,while holding it here nip up bolt on alternator to bracket
do up all other bolts
job done
Thanks bell boy. I will have another look at the engine tomorrow and see if I can do this.

94 1.3 Tightening up a fan belt - eastenddoy
on the longest run of the belt there should be a bit of play in the belt of about 1/4 in.
you dont what the belt like a bow string as you can do the bearing in on the water pump and the alternator.