What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
What to look for in a Focus II? - dieselfitter
Daughter wants a used Focus and with a budget of £5000, we seem to be typically looking at 2005 Focus II 1.6 Zetecs with 2 previous owners, on a private sale. Plenty on Autotrader. Any suggestions of particular problems to look out for on these critters, apart from the usual checks on any used car?

What to look for in a Focus II? - LikedDrivingOnce
As usual, HJ's "What to Watch Out For" in the CBC is your friend.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=686
What to look for in a Focus II? - ifithelps
Worth making sure it's got the full climate pack - air con and heated front screen.

I seem to recall it was not standard on early Focus Zetec lls.

Edited by ifithelps on 16/09/2009 at 15:47

Thanks both. I did (of course!) check out HJ's CBCB. Wasn't aware of the spec issue, so will check that.
What to look for in a Focus II? - plant1983
Get the power steering checked out. The pump went on my 2006 focus 1.6 zetec climate 2 months after the warranty expired.

What to look for in a Focus II? - Jonronston
Also check the air conditioning is working well. My 2005 Focus II air con compressor has just gone, and the Ford garage quoted nearly £1k to fix it.
What to look for in a Focus II? - Old Navy
Look for rust on the bottom of the front wing just behind the wheel, later models have a plastic shield.

Edited by Old Navy on 16/09/2009 at 20:27

What to look for in a Focus II? - MikeTorque
Check steering and suspension is noise free especially when first using the car, use full left and right steering locking, no noise sound be heard. Track rod ends have been known to seize and require replacing. Check there is no clutch judder when first moving off.
What to look for in a Focus II? - bazza
Check spark plug wells are not full of rusty water, caused by rain water dripping through bonnet washer jet seats.
Thanks everyone, much appreciated.
What to look for in a Focus II? - Fullchat
Check for a nice smooth gear change including reverse.

My 2005 is going in tomorrow for a service which really should have been done in March. Am asking them to replace gearbox oil and brake fluid as some 3rd gear changes and reverse selection has got a bit raggy. As the clutch slave cylinder shares its fluid with the brakes it may give a little bit more clearance.

I had the 3rd gear selection issue on only a 30K Sorento and fresh oil cured the problem.

What to look for in a Focus II? - ijws15
Check the carpet in the passenger footwell is dry.