What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
02 1.6 Hissing noise from front wheel - dave_s
I have a 2002 manual ford focus 1.6L. Recently noticed a hissing noise coming under the front drivers side wheel arch after driving the car, which stops about 15 seconds after parking the car. Sounds like its coming from the wheel/brake on that side. Tyre pressures are fine and no obvious problems on tyre so don't think its air leaking from there, but the noise is just like the noise of a puncture. Any ideas what might be causing it?
02 1.6 Hissing noise from front wheel - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Losing refrigerant from air conditioning system?
Loss of coolant, perhaps trickling on to a hot exhaust/engine?
Condensate from air conditioning trickling on to hot exhaust?

Open bonnet for a better view of the situation.
A very valid point! Just had a look under the bonnet - nothing obvious. Ran engine for a bit - nothing obvious. Ran engine with A/C on for a bit - when engine stopped, noise clearly coming from somewhere under bonnet but couldn't work out where, even after several attempts.

So its not coming from the wheel area at all.

Very rarely actually use my A/C so not sure whether that is a red herring. Sounds like an air leak and then just stops literally after about 15seconds. Do you think its worth worrying about or shall I just ignore it?!
02 1.6 Hissing noise from front wheel - RichardW
Its just the refrigerant settling out in the AC system - perfectly normal.
Great - thanks for the reassurance Richard - You've saved me an awful lot of time looking for a problem that doesn't exist!
02 1.6 Hissing noise from front wheel - bathtub tom
Any neighbours reported a missing cat lately?

Perhaps a large, long, unidentified, scaly object under the bonnet? ;>)