What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Superchips Ford 1.8 TDDi 90bhp upgrade - maz64
My sister's family also have a mk1 Focus estate but with the 1.8 TDDi 90bhp engine. I asked BiL if he'd looked into getting it chipped, and he hadn't. Superchips do an upgrade to 123bhp and 200Nm to 273Nm for £391 - anyone tried this?

Cheers
F
Superchips Ford 1.8 TDDi 90bhp upgrade - Collos25
What would be the point.
What would be the point.

Make it better to drive - don't you think it would?
Superchips Ford 1.8 TDDi 90bhp upgrade - MikeTorque
A number of people have, check out the Ford Focus forum.

The 1.8 TDDi is noted for blowing out huge amounts of black smoke especially if cheap fuel is used or when mixing different fuel brands due to the dilution of the fuel additives. Using premium grade fuel such as BP Ultimate or Shell V-power reduces this problem significantly.

A Supership (Bluefin) will produce an increase in power & torque (very little until above 1500 rpm) but it can also increase the amount of black smoke that gets pumped out of the exhaust, especially at higher revs and if the power map is set too high. I've known people who have tried the Superchip and then decided to ask for a refund having tried it for a few days due to them not being satisfied with the pros & cons. You'll also need to get new insurance cover as most insurance won't cover you for a Supership upgrade. A Bluefin will mean fuel consumption increases as a result of using the additional performance, however, fuel consumption may improve slightly for lighter driving. It's hassle installing/unstalling the Bluefin map so you need to be aware of all the implications.
A number of people have check out the Ford Focus forum.

Thanks Mike. I did a search on www.ffoc.co.uk but had trouble finding anything 1.8 TD specific. What search term(s) did you use?

Anyway thanks for the info - I'll make sure BiL is aware of the cons.

F
Superchips Ford 1.8 TDDi 90bhp upgrade - MikeTorque
Search for "bluefin AND TDDi" in the "Diesel Foci" forum.
Search for "bluefin AND TDDi" in the "Diesel Foci" forum.

Thanks Mike - just waiting for the club to remind me of my nickname so I can login and search :-(
Superchips Ford 1.8 TDDi 90bhp upgrade - MikoBailey
My sister's family also have a mk1 Focus estate but with the 1.8 TDDi 90bhp engine. I asked BiL if he'd looked into getting it chipped, and he hadn't. Superchips do an upgrade to 123bhp and 200Nm to 273Nm for £391 - anyone tried this?

I have tried this, doesn't work on my 1.8 tddi which is W reg. This model and the models preceeding it are "part mechanical, part electronic" (to quote the technical support guy at superchips) and thus the bluefin device does not work on these and there is no alternative from superchips. Not sure on the TDDi's that followed but certainly upto 'W' reg (year 2000) it will not work, error code E0E8 will appear meaning it cannot communicate with the car (as the device it's trying to talk to does not exist)
Superchips Ford 1.8 TDDi 90bhp upgrade - Collos25

An article on this forum suggests as of next year the MOT will fail any car that has been chipped,how they will test for it I do not know but they will have a way no doubt.

Superchips Ford 1.8 TDDi 90bhp upgrade - Westpig

One of our cars (2.0 diesel X Type estate) has been 're-mapped' rather than 'chipped'...(not technically minded so cannot explain the difference properly)..but I was advised that chipping was a cruder method that used more fuel, whereas re-mapping changed the ECU settings for that particular vehicle.

I can confirm it transformed the car for the better. Noticeably more oomph as from 1800 revs; revs a bit more freely at the top end; better fuel economy by at least 3mpg. The outfit I used ('CNL re-mapping') reckon the torque has improved from about 330Nm to about 390Nm and horse power from about 128bhp to 165/170 ish. I have no idea of the exact figures, but can confirm there was a dramatic difference (must have been 'er indoors noticed it immediately). They did advise me that this engine was one that could show a noticeable difference, whereas some engines e.g. BMW, were more tuned to start with, so any difference would be more marginal.

Can't be that difficult to research the 1.8 TDi model, I wouldn't have thought.

Wish i'd done it before, but held off whilst the car was in warranty. We now have the performance of the 2.2 model, for £325.

Edited by Westpig on 12/11/2010 at 12:23

Superchips Ford 1.8 TDDi 90bhp upgrade - injection doc

there are some companies doing upgrades for under £100 now as they are coming into the MOT in 13 months time so how its going to be policed I have no idea but cars that have been chipped or mapped will fail their MOT so i guess it will be a thing of the past !

wrecks2riches.co.uk/2010/10/2011-changes-to-mot/" target="_blank">wrecks2riches.co.uk/2010/10/2011-changes-to-mot/

Superchips Ford 1.8 TDDi 90bhp upgrade - injection doc
The opacity reading is being reduced further for the MOt so the cars that have been chipped the reading will be too high!
Superchips Ford 1.8 TDDi 90bhp upgrade - Victorbox

They'll all fail the MOT next year (apparently) so not really worth it! http://wrecks2riches.co.uk/2010/10/2011-changes-to-mot/

Posted near the same time so SNAP!

Edited by Victorbox on 12/11/2010 at 15:23