What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
02 340 Total Immobilisation & No Power - Peppers
Following warnings lights that ABS,EPS,BAS were malfunctioning car was stopped & engine switched off, gear shift placed in "Park". Later attempt to shift into "Drive" found gear shift immovable and unable to start the engine although plenty of electrical power. Prior to switching the engine off I noticed the "D" display indicating car is in "Drive" had vanished.
Any thoughts gratefully received.
02 340 Total Immobilisation & No Power - Roger Jones
Not to detract from this forum, but you're likely to get far more responses if you visit one of the UK MB forums or indeed the US forums (which are so large as to have model-specific sections. Drop "MB forum" or similar into Google.

I can't help further, I'm afraid, and it looks like yet another of the all too familiar reports of such faults in that generation of MBs. Thus, a main dealer should be familiar with it and perhaps even willing to add its weight to your appeal for financial moderation of any bills by MB if they don't want to add even more to their reputation for letting owners of 1997--2003/4 cars down badly with build-quality and electronics problems.
02 340 Total Immobilisation & No Power - Peppers
Thank you Roger Jones for your thoughtful and informative reply - I will do as you suggest.
02 340 Total Immobilisation & No Power - alanbrain

I have had a similar problem. I put the key in the ignition and all the warning lights came on and the key was still in position 0. It would not move to position 1 or 2.. Car was completely immobile. I was towed away. Two days later garage mechanic tried the car and the problem had vanished.

Now what??

grateful for any help