What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Prices :yikes: - Bill Payer
Noticed the "Best Deals" flash above featured up to £3K off Fiestas.

I've been thinking about Fiesta to replace daughter's hateful SEAT Ibiza but I hadn't realised quite how expensive Fiesta is, at least at list price - to get a/c, 5drs and met paint, the 1.25 Style+ version is £13K.

Am I just woefully out of touch - that seems staggeringly expensive?
Prices :yikes: - LikedDrivingOnce
Well, Ford have raised their prices three times since January - that may have something to do with it! (I was just getting to like Ford again, as well, before they pulled this stunt)
Prices :yikes: - Statistical outlier
We just got my gf a new Fiesta class car. The Fiesta is very expensive, especially as it is carefully specced to force you up the model range as you can't get certain things (like the 1.6 diesel) without also going for higher trim. I mean, £15k for a Fiesta!! What?

In the end we got a brand new Mazda 2 TS2 with metallic paint and a towbar (for bikes) for £10.5k OTR from a local dealer who was willing to haggle. We both thought it was a nicer car to drive (from a drivers point of view - it is a bit noisier on the motorway), probably explained by the fact that it's nearly 400 kg lighter than the Fiesta (no, that's not a typo)! It still has aircon, a decent stereo, 5* NCAP with all the airbags etc. and 0% finance. What's not to like.

Edited by Gordon M on 31/07/2009 at 16:59

Prices :yikes: - TheOilBurner
How on Earth has Mazda shaved 400kg off the what is, underneath the Fiesta? Or perhaps the question is, how do Ford manage to pile on an extra 400kg...
Prices :yikes: - bimmer-driver
If you think thats dear, have a look at a mid spec diesel Focus. Well over 20 grand! They'll only sell those with massive discounts.
Prices :yikes: - ijws15
Who pays list price - we didn't, far from..

Wife very pleased with her 1.4 Titanium after 6 months.
I'm pretty sure a lot of it is sound insulation and such like. there are also lots of little things like the seat ratchets on the Mazda are very simple, the dash is more minimal, the rear seat fold is simple.

It all adds up, but my gf was blown away by how much nicer to drive the Mazda was as a result. Much more agile and nippy, but less refined as a motorway cruiser. I'm convinced there is a market for both.
Prices :yikes: - J500ANT
and they wonder why Hyundai and Kia have done so well out of scrappage!
it's nearly 400 kg lighter than the Fiesta (no that's not a typo)!

I had to look this up as a difference of 400kg is simply not feasible.

I wish it was easier to look up the weights but 2 random sites show Mazda 2 at 960Kg and Fiesta at 1119Kg but don't specify which models. However that's close enough to make me thing your 400 number is probably correct, but it's lbs, not kg.
Prices :yikes: - bell boy
400kg is 8 bags of coal in old money
I may have been slightly unfair, I haven't got the brochures to check.

gf tried the 1.2 petrol Fiesta and found it unacceptably slow on the dual carriageway. I think I checked the weight of the diesel Fiesta against that of a Mazda 2 petrol. IIRC, the difference was 350 something Kg. Obviously that's not really comparing like with like, but it's still a huge difference!
Prices :yikes: - carl_a
I've been thinking about Fiesta to replace daughter's hateful SEAT Ibiza but I hadn't realised
quite how expensive Fiesta is at least at list price - to get a/c 5drs
and met paint the 1.25 Style+ version is £13K.

Goes to pay for all the cars they lease out for free and then sell second hand at so called "bargain prices" to people that "think" they are saving a fortune buying nearly new cars.

Edited by carl_a on 01/08/2009 at 13:43

Prices :yikes: - ifithelps
Nothing offends like success, does it?

Several anti-Ford posts, as usual, yet the Fiesta is the the best selling small car* in a segment where the buyers are mostly private.

I agree the list prices are stupidly misleading, so it's worth calling into a Ford dealer - there are a lots of those to choose from, by the way.

Have a good look at the car and find out the real world price.

If you both suit you - buy a Fiesta.

If not - buy something else.

* I posted that without checking, but I just know it's true - it has been for years. :)
Prices :yikes: - injection doc
our fiesta 1.6tdci with many extras was dear at a whopping 12.5k after discount but I have to say it has been a quality car & feels very solid & extremly quiet for a small car but with plenty of room for 4. To drive it does feel quality & my wife is happy with it. Having tried cheaper french equivelants , we were let down by quality & reliability & the 206 was so tinny, it collected a dent every time we went out.
I was more tham happy to pay for quality & reliability & comfortable seats too, with high speck trim. You only live once & you can't take it with you
our fiesta 1.6tdci with many extras was dear at a whopping 12.5k after discount

Well that's at least a couple of £K less than the cheapest 1.6TDCi model so you certainly got a hefty discount. May I ask - did you buy as a regular customer from a normal Ford dealership?

Prices :yikes: - injection doc
Hi Bill
That was a year ago ,so old model now & that was our third from the same Ford dealer .We had AC & Heated front sreen ( they are brilliant) alloys, power fold mirrors & technology pack & mettalic paint.
We have always had excellent service from Ford cars & the dealers.
I had vauxhalls for 20 + years but after a vectra & Omega & Corsa 3 cyl no more for me thanks. Bring back the old cavalier for reliability.
My post wasn't intended to be anti-Ford in any way.

I think the Fiesta is a really nice car, very refined and a real good looker. Had the petrol been a bit more sprightly, and had my gf got on better with the headrest (a problem with a lot of new cars) then we would have been seriously considering it.

Seriously though - having tried both, the lower weight makes the Mazda a better drivers car in my opinion. That doesn't make it a better car per se, but it did fit our priorities better..
Prices :yikes: - ifithelps
...My post wasn't intended to be anti-Ford in any way...

Gordon,

I didn't intend to suggest you were one of the anti-Ford brigade.

Seems to me you've tried a Fiesta and it didn't suit for a couple of reasons - that's not anti, that's just applying a rational approach to car buying.

Hope you continue to enjoy the Mazda.

Prices :yikes: - The Melting Snowman
Quality costs. Always has done.
List prices - just the starting point.
List prices - just the starting point.

It makes it incredibly difficult to compare cars though when some are barely discounted and others might be (but might not be) £2-£3K off.

You'd have to compare a £15K Fiesta to a £12K Jazz as they could both end up about the same price.