What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Off to see an 02 2.0 Zetec advice please :) - smashing
well after so long at looking at a focus (been stalking them on auto trader since chrimbo) iv got an apointment to see one on sunday! its a 2.0l zetec...67000 miles...one owner from new...full ford service history its £2295...most of this will be cash plus my little fiesta part exchange...any questions i should ask??

thanks

Adam

Edited by Pugugly on 24/07/2009 at 23:06

off to see a ford focus advice please :) - Rattle
What reg is it?

Sounds like it could be a good genuine buy. I like the Ford service hsitory too if you can confirm its genuine.

2.0 litre Focuses tend to be a bit harder to sell than 1.6s due to insurance reasons. I found the 2.0 litres were about 10% cheaper than the 1.6s.
off to see a ford focus advice please :) - smashing
its an 02 reg...yeah insurance is high but no where near as much as i thought it would be :)
off to see a ford focus advice please :) - Galaxy
Find out whether the cambelt has been changed. If it hasn't then the car is certainly heading in that direction and this could be used for bargaining.

Also, find out the registration number before you go and do a vehicle history check (HPI type check) This could be done via the RAC website last time I looked for £5.00; well worth doing "on spec" even if you end up not buying the car.
Yep and if its a cheap one its best to do the check first. If you see the car you may fall in love with it, do a check and find something minor but still buy the car. Yet if you hadn't seen the car and the check came up with something you would run a mile.
off to see a ford focus advice please :) - L'escargot
Make sure the seats suit you. I find the Zetec bolstered seats uncomfortable on my thighs. The flatter Ghia seats suit me better.

Check for accident damage repairs. Open all the doors and bonnet and look at any visible welds. Compare those on one side of the car with those on the other ~ it's impossible for a bodyshop to replicate the method and appearance of the original welds.

I imagine the sump on this will be steel, so look underneath for signs of significant corrosion and leakage.
off to see a ford focus advice please :) - ifithelps
These handle like a dream, but the pay-off can be a harsh ride so make sure you're happy with the way it goes over bumps.

Tyre roar is something a lot of people mention on Focuses.

It seems to vary from car to car and from tyre brand to tyre brand, it might bother you, it might not.

Otherwise, just enjoy the best-driving hatchback £2,295 - or a lot more - can buy.

Edited by ifithelps on 24/07/2009 at 17:11

Sush I might get jealous, Now people of Manchester kindly get infected with the Virut virus so I can afford a Focus sooner rather than later :D.

The reason I didn't buy a Focus is I just could not find any good enough with my budget. In the end I spent a bit less but on a genuine Corsa. The savings I am making insurance should allow me to get a better and new Focus when the time comes. I am thinking 52/53 MK1 with all the airbags abs etc.

Out of all the cars I have driven the Focus is the only one where I did not have to think about the machanics it was just so fluid and nice to drive. Perfect really.
off to see a ford focus advice please :) - DP
As above, it should drive superbly. It should track straight, there should be no freeplay or vagueness in the steering, the gearbox should be light and precise, and the brakes progressive. Controls like the steering and brakes are not overassisted like on a contemporary Golf or an Astra, so they can seem slightly heavy, but the tradeoff is a level of feel and progression, and being "connected" to the mechanical bits that completely eludes rivals. As Rattle puts it superbly, they are just fluid and nice to drive. They feel "right". Huge, huge fun to chuck around too. :-)

Tyre roar and noise was my biggest bugbear with mine, but it does indeed vary with tyre brand. Interior should hold together well too. It looks quite cheap compared to a Golf, say, but the actual assembly quality should be very good. Mine was completely creak free at 100k.

The most reliable car I have ever had the pleasure of driving. 99k in 3 yrs with one minor fault only. It just worked.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 24/07/2009 at 17:54

off to see a ford focus advice please :) - oldnotbold
Rear wheel bearings go at/soon after 50k, see HJ's CBC. About £75-£100 a side.
off to see a ford focus advice please :) - L'escargot
Rear wheel bearings go at/soon after 50k .........

Stop scaremongering. My 1999 2 litre Ghia was still on its original wheel bearings when I sold it at 85,000 miles.
off to see a ford focus advice please :) - Lud
Stop scaremongering.

Perhaps the handling of onb's example had been exploited more enthusiastically than the handling of yours, escargot...
off to see a ford focus advice please :) - oldnotbold
HJ says "Listen for rumbly rear wheel bearings, especially on estates, but quite a common failure on all Focuses." There is also a Ford technical bulletin on the matter, so it's pretty well known about. My indy knew to the minute how long it would take.
off to see a ford focus advice please :) - Pugugly
Wouldn't lose a good car over a noisy wheel bearing - quite reasonable to replace !
off to see a ford focus advice please :) - FocusDriver
My rear bearings have just gone!

It's a '99 T 1.6 (75k) and this is the FIRST mechanical "failure" (hardly, just a bit noisy) I've experienced since acquired in Dec 2002.

I came on HJ months ago banging on about getting a new car and next week, at last, it's actually going to happen. I have a week off and 7k in my pocket for a Focus Ghia/Titanium on 55/06 with about 35k. The depressing thing, intending this to last 10 years, is that I'll be 44 and STILL not driving an Aston Martin v8 Vantage. It's never going to happen is it matey.
off to see a ford focus advice please :) - The Melting Snowman
I'm a huge fan of the Focus for a humble Euro box. Just make sure you get a good one as there are masses around.
off to see a ford focus advice please :) - LikedDrivingOnce
The depressing thing intending this to last 10 years is that I'll be 44
and STILL not driving an Aston Martin v8 Vantage. It's never going to happen is it matey.

Maybe not - but if you do manage to get the spec that you quoted within your budget then you can get some consolation from the fact that you're driving. a SERIOUSLY good car.

Good Hunting! Let us know how you get on.