Year of manufacture after year of registration - Pondlife
I've noticed the year of manufacture given by the VIN number on my car is after the year shown on the log book. The VIN code says 2001, and the log book says 2000.

I'm happy because as it's 2000-registered I only need to pay GBP 185 tax (or whatever it is now) instead of something like 400. But I wonder how the date of manufacture can be after the registration date. Is this technically possible, or does it mean that there has been a DVLA screw up.

For the curious, the VIN number is SAJAC01L51Fxxxxxx. It's a Jag S-Type. The 10th character is "1", which according to the websites I've looked at means 2001.
Year of manufacture after year of registration - mikeyb
Is the 200the model year rather than the year of manufacture i.e. many manufacturers will start building 2010 models from August 09
Year of manufacture after year of registration - Falkirk Bairn
Is the 200the model year rather than the year of manufacture i.e. many manufacturers will
start building 2010 models from August 09

Some manufacturers have 2010 models available late spring/early summer for some markets. UK imports usually later however
Year of manufacture after year of registration - BB
Above is correct. I checked this to ensure the XK8 I bought was a 02 model car.....but also the XK8 02MY had an A as it's 12th letter which identified a new MY build sequence.
Year of manufacture after year of registration - Pondlife
Thanks chaps. That clears it up.

When I look back at the VIN decoding websites they do indeed say that the 10th digit is the "model year", but somehow I read that as "year of manufacture".