What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
04 2.2 How to check a used engine's mileage? - Vorax
Last week I had the pleasure of the cam chain snapping on my Honda Accord CTDi and wrecking my engine.

I've been getting a few quotes for a replacement engine, and wondered if there is any way of checking up on the claimed mileage? Or is it ultimately a case of pot luck and hoping that the Shiny engine that has 'only done 10k' is actually a steam cleaned 100k+ job.
04 2.2 How to check a used engine's mileage? - piston power
Not really without taking at least the cam cover off is it clean inside for 10k or oil hard dirty deposits.

At 10k it should still look new at 100k you will see signs of external wear, but all you can do is go to a reputable breakers yard.
04 2.2 How to check a used engine's mileage? - Roly93
I dont think there is any real way without an 'internal' inspection.
I think you just have to get a guarantee and take a chance.

These engines havent been around long, so I think you would be unlucky to get one with starship mileage, as they will all have come from insurance write-offs I would have thought.

Also, lets be honest here, if you are using all of the ancilliaries off your old engine, there isnt going to be much difference in 'wear' at all between a diesel block with 20K and one with 60K.
04 2.2 How to check a used engine's mileage? - Vorax
Thanks for the input. However, luckily for me the situation has changed:

Honda have just called me to say they are going to give me a NEW ENGINE FOR FREE!!!!

Remember that next time you are looking for another car!!
04 2.2 How to check a used engine's mileage? - Quicksilver
Next door neighbour has also had the chain snap on his 04 Accord 2.2 Diesel.

All the work was carried out by Honda under warranty even if it was outside the 3 years/90k miles.

I wonder if this is a more common fault than we currently believe?

Q.
04 2.2 How to check a used engine's mileage? - piston power
Well thats top quality service from honda think i'll just go get one! lol.