What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
02 1.8 rear brake caliper sticking - keith565
me again,lol.
forgot to add in my last post. my rear offside brake caliper is sticking, this is the third one since new. is this a problem with the mondeo and is there anything i can do apart from keep replacing the caliper. cheers
02 1.8 rear brake caliper sticking - piston power
Does the hand brake cable work with the caliper like you pull it and the piston locks the pads to the disc?

If so is this free not sticking?

3x calipers something is a miss here.
yes, the handbrake works fine, just the caliper doesn't seem to release all the way. i've jacked the car up and the wheel is difficult to move on that side, if i have the handbrake off and tap the caliper, it releases fully.
the last one stuck on so tight i couldn't move the wheel.

Edited by keith565 on 19/05/2009 at 11:48

02 1.8 rear brake caliper sticking - Paul G1pdc
HI, I used to run a 2001 mk3 2litre lx which also had sticky rear calipers.
(car got changed for a w reg volvo long story)
it turned out there was a safety recall for sticking calipers, had the calipers and disks and pads all changed for free. (disks had cracks from the heat...they stuck on at a motorway service station...they where steaming!!.
but to have 3 sets hmmm might be worth checking that any recall have been done on the car.
paul.
02 1.8 rear brake caliper sticking - kithmo
Best thing to do is to free the lever of by working it back and forth with molegrips (cable off) then put some spray grease on the shaft where it enters the back of the caliper, be careful not to spray the grease on the disc. It's water ingress into the shaft that cuses it to stick. I greased mine when they were newish and still free and had no problems.
02 1.8 rear brake caliper sticking - piston power
Does the cable move freely it's not pulling on and sticking in the sleeve of the cable is it?

That post above about greasing the shaft is a good point.
02 1.8 rear brake caliper sticking - shadyarea
Im with bigtee on this one had same problem with mine when i owned it, the cable seized in the sleeve just replaced it worked fine after that
interesting point about greasing them. i've got a chap going to have a look at it,i'll mention the above and let you know what happens. any idea how i find out if it was recalled?
thanks for the help, much appreciated