What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
04 1.8 Whirring noise under acceleration - delta-box
Hi All,

My focus has been playing up the last few days by making a whirring noise when under load. It originally happened a couple of weeks ago but only lasted for half an hour and then righted it's self but now it is full on and not going away.

The car has done 80k and I have had from new, it has been pretty much faultless. I originally thought the sound was the exhaust which was replaced in December but this is not the case. It just makes a whirring noise under load and the engine makes a rattle when at stand still. The sound stops when the clutch is depressed at a standstill.

The mpg is over 50mpg and I have no loss off power, so far all i have come up with is injectors, cat? turbo/ leak and maybe flywheel thing on diesel?? All of which are mega buck so any help will be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks in Advance.
04 1.8 Whirring noise under acceleration - MikeTorque
Any black smoke coming from the exhaust ?

Does the noise occur with clutch depressed and with a lot of electrical units turned on, such as head lights, rear screen heater etc. ?

Does the noise occur if the engine is revved to 2500 to 3000 revs whilst in neutral with the clutch not depressed ?
Hi Mike,

no smoke at all, when i depress the clutch pedal the rattle stops, it makes no diference what ever electrical items i have on. The noise is still there when you rev the engine but is most noticable when driving under load. It is just like a leaking exaust??

The car is still fine in every way bar the dreadful noise?

Andy
04 1.8 Whirring noise under acceleration - MikeTorque
Have you been able to ascertain the location of the noise ?
Does it come from the engine bay area, or underneath the car, or from the exhaust ?
Was the whole of the exhaust system changed or just part of it including the cat ?
04 1.8 Whirring noise under acceleration - jc2
The rattle that goes away when you press the clutch is usually "idler gear rattle"-common and harmless.This is the extra gear in the box to give you reverse.
Hi,

the noise is coming from the centre of the footwell and I have been advised is the cat? Not sure how this links to the idler gear rattle but guy said to leave cat till it fails as around £300?
04 1.8 Whirring noise under acceleration - henry k
the noise is coming from the centre of the footwell

It is obviously very difficult to identify where a noise is coming from by diagnosing via the forum.
and I have been advised is the cat? ..but guy said to leave cat till it fails as around £300?

IIRC On the Mk1 2.0L the cat was vertical on the front of the engine. I suspect an 04 is similar. Quite a long way from the foot well.
When the honeycomb in my cat ( not a Focus) detached itself from inside its box it certainly did make a rattling sound.
>>
>>Not sure how this links to the idler gear rattle.
I would guess that " guy " was just guessing from what you have described to date.
04 1.8 Whirring noise under acceleration - bathtub tom
Loose heat shield?
convinced it is the cat as is getting louder and sounding more like the exaust, the exhaust was replaced in Dec. As far as the rattle from the clutch idler gear thing. When the whirring sound temp resolved its self the rattle went??

I saw some cats locally for my car £90 is this any good as everyone has said they are around £250??