What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Rust on Mazda 6 - issieman
Hi All,
I am in the process of buying a Mazda 6 TS2 (facelift) 2006, I heard that rust quite common the pre facelift model, especially around the wheel arch.

Has Mazda sorted out the rust issues on the facelift model? or should I move toward a 2005 Mondeo/Honda Accord.

Rust on Mazda 6 - rtj70
My Mondeo Mk III was rusting so don't assume they don't. Although mine was a 2003 car.
Rust on Mazda 6 - J1mbo
Hi, make sure its had the stone chip protection work done. That involves applying sealant around the inner lip of the rear arches, spraying waxoyl into the box sections and re sealing the outer door skin/door frame join. If its not had the work done then walk away.

My mondeo mk3 was rusting away and it was only 3 years old at the time!
Thanks all.
J1mbo I assuming that your advice is related to the Mazda and not the Mondeo right?
Rust on Mazda 6 - Clk Sec
No visible rust on my low mileage 2002 model yet.

Clk Sec
Rust on Mazda 6 - Alby Back
By way of a counterpoint re Mondeo rust. Don't assume they all do either. I have a 2002 model estate with huge mileage on it and it still looks like new. Couple of tiny stone chips on the bonnet but no rust.

My younger, and far less miley Signum however, does not bear such close inspection. Bottom edge of one door and both rear wheelarches have very early signs of rust. Don't really care as it will also be up to big miles and fairly valueless anyway within a couple of years. Trust it will stay roughly in one piece for that long.

Strangely enough apparently, our 5 year old Ka is not yet rotting away either. I found a tiny 1p sized patch underneath a door about 18 months ago which seemed to have been caused by something breaking the paint ( maybe a seatbelt getting caught betwen the door and the sill ? ) Fixed it with some of that rust cure stuff and a bit of touch up paint and it has been fine since. No other signs of rust yet anyway.
Rust on Mazda 6 - rtj70
I should have said my Mondeo was rusting at the bottom of the doors. The body work itself was fine. Paint would scratch too easily though.
Rust on Mazda 6 - turbo11
My 2004 Mazda 6 had the sealent and waxoil work done free of charge by Mazda last year, when it had its annual service. It didn't need the work doing as there were no bad stone chips or rust anywhere on the car. If the vehicle has full Mazda service history then the work should of been carried out as a matter of course.
wow ..thanks for the encouraging news

I must admit though, I thought we left the days of the Nissan Cherry behind us?
it looks like its making comeback onto various cars.

My current car is a 1997 Mondeo with over 250k on the clock with no rust and still on the original Clutch/Gearbox, so my expectations of my new car is very very high indeed.
Rust on Mazda 6 - ifithelps
...My current car is a 1997 Mondeo with over 250k on the clock with no rust and still on the original Clutch/Gearbox, so my expectations of my new car is very very high indeed...

You'd better buy another Ford then.

Having had a good one, you will do well to find anything else to come close in the workhorse stakes.
Rust on Mazda 6 - Alby Back
Seconded

:-)
Rust on Mazda 6 - J1mbo
Hi, yes>> Thanks all.
J1mbo I assuming that your advice is related to the Mazda and not the Mondeo
right?

Yes, all Mazda owners were offered it, not sure from which age, but it was right across the range. I was offered it when the car was serviced last Sept (3year). Another reason for getting your motor main dealer serviced!!

James
High mileage concern Mazda 6 TS2 - issieman
I have seen a 56 REG Mazda 6 TS2 (90k ) going for £4,700, is there anything I need to worry about especially with a mileage that high?
High mileage concern Mazda 6 TS2 - eustace

Hi issieman,

Did you end up buying the car? How is the car doing? Would you mind updating us, as to how your experiences with the car have been?

Regards