What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
03 1.4 TDCI Brake fluid dripping? - theterranaut
Hi all,

was replacing the front discs and pads on my Fiesta today.

While working on the off-side assembly, I had to push the piston in by hand, in order
to accomodate the new pads. However, while doing this, I noticed a trickle of fluid coming down from the engine bay. This could only have been brake fluid.

I've checked the fluid levels and they are right up to the filler cap. Should I be concerned?

rgds

tt
03 1.4 TDCI Brake fluid dripping? - elekie&a/c doctor
The only concern you should have is to see if the brake fluid has eaten away at any of the paintwork.By pushing back the pistons in the calipers ,fluid has been forced back into master cylinder reservoir and has overflowed past the cap.Nothing major to worry about as this is normal.Just be carefull of the fluid level next time the pads need changing.hth
03 1.4 TDCI Brake fluid dripping? - theterranaut
Thanks doc-

nope, no fluid on the paintwork.

cheers

tt
03 1.4 TDCI Brake fluid dripping? - Woodspeed
When I check brake fluid, on cars I know, I always let it run down to nearly 1/2 on the little tank. Logic being, if it was full when you changed the pads, it will sink. Then blows out if refilled before a pad change. The worry point is when the little light comes on, and find out why!
03 1.4 TDCI Brake fluid dripping? - L'escargot
This could only have been brake fluid.

Squidge it between finger and thumb. The feel of brake fluid can't be mistaken for anything else. (Wash your hands afterwards.)
I've checked the fluid levels and they are right up to the filler cap.

Reduce the fluid level down to the "max" mark. A medical syringe is handy for doing things like this.
03 1.4 TDCI Brake fluid dripping? - piston power
Quite simply just remove the cap when pushing the piston back.
03 1.4 TDCI Brake fluid dripping? - DP
Go to your local chemist and buy a baby's oral feeding syringe. They're perfect for extracting brake fluid from reservoirs to prevent spillage. Can be washed out and reused too.
I have a couple in my toolbox, and they come in handy for all manner of things.
03 1.4 TDCI Brake fluid dripping? - Peter D
Best practice if to always crack the bleed nipple open and expel the aged fluid when pressing the pistons back rather then sending the old fluid back up to the master cylinder. Regards Peter
03 1.4 TDCI Brake fluid dripping? - doctorchris
Good advice, Peter but put a hose clamp on before you do this to ensure no fluid goes back up the system.
This is particularly important with ABS brake systems as they do not like brake fluid forced the wrong way through them.
03 1.4 TDCI Brake fluid dripping? - Peter D
I do not like those clamps and seal the header take with a plastic bag over the filler and then the top screwed back on. Regards Peter