What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
06 1.6 What is CVT - Ben 10
Many Ford Focuses are CVT. What is this?
06 1.6 What is CVT - Dynamic Dave

CVT - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuously_variable_transm...n

06 1.6 What is CVT - Ben 10
Thanks for that DD.
From reading many posts on here over the last year it appears it has been a problem for Ford and that many potential owners steer clear. Is this the case?
06 1.6 What is CVT - R2-CMax
Thanks for that DD.
From reading many posts on here over the last year it appears it has been
a problem for Ford and that many potential owners steer clear. Is this the case?

>>

From my 5 years on Focus forums, and time here you'd be right. Although the specific problem child appears to be 1.6 TDCi engines with the CVT auto. If it goes wrong it costs an arm and a leg to put right (i.e. new or reconditioned transmission), and I think from another thread that spares are getting tricky to find. I think the consensus here would be to avoid it.

For clarity, this observation only applies to this particular combination of engine & gearbox. After teething troubles with early models (perhaps up until 2005), this engine appears to be reliable (especially given how common it's likely to be - used across Ford group including Volvo, Peugeot-Citroen and Mini).