What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
03 2.0 Cambelt failure, what else has broken? - FotheringtonThomas
Cambelt failed. Other parts bust will be? Engine likely to be econmomically repairable?
03 2.0 Cambelt failure, what else has broken? - John F
Interesting - and I'm sorry to hear it F-T. I didn't think Foci belts failed. Why? Is it diesel? Did something it drove apart from the camshaft - if anything - fail? Had it been changed from the original?
03 2.0 Cambelt failure, what else has broken? - Lud
Don't know for sure but bent valves etc seem quite likely. Usually repairable though. Damn bad luck FT, commiserations. Whether economic or not would depend on the repairer to a large extent I would think.

Edited by Lud on 17/02/2009 at 18:00

03 2.0 Cambelt failure, what else has broken? - yorkiebar
Unlucky, but you're not the first.

Known quite a few of these that have failed way before recommended time but usually because the auxilliary belt fails and manages to snag apulley and cause cam belt failure.

Going to be expensive, but depends on how many valves and/or piston damage versus labour rate.

Would expect damage to be confined to head, may just be worth sourcing a new or 2nd hand head and just have that fitted rather than try to restore original ?

Good luck
It's not mine, thank goodness. I have enough trouble with the car I've got! Thanks for the info. The unfortunately-large figure of £100+ is being bandied about. Tensioner went, apparently.

Edited by FotheringtonThomas on 18/02/2009 at 10:44

03 2.0 Cambelt failure, what else has broken? - Ben 10
What was the mileage of the car when the failure occured?
03 2.0 Cambelt failure, what else has broken? - henry k
The unfortunately-large figure of £100+ is being bandied about. Tensioner went apparently.

£100+ A typo ?
I would have expected £100 ++++ :-(

The tensioner went on my similar engine @ 120K.
I think belt was changed at 80K ( prior to my purchase) but I suspect the tensioner was not.The plastic skin of the tensioner split / melted.
Yes, a typo. £1,000+, but "not as much as £2,000".

Did your incident result in a head job? Can you give damage/£ approximations if so?
Sorry. I have no figures as I got away with things - just. No damage so just a cambelt kit and labour
03 2.0 Cambelt failure, what else has broken? - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Sorry to hear of the demise of the belt. Tensioner or guide roller breaking up is the more usual problem or as pointed out auxiliary belt shredding and ingesting into belt cover shucking the belt off,.
I think you are into 4 figures and it may well be more cost effective to fit reconditioned head and save on the labour rebuilding.
Check also for damage to the piston crowns
Renew the water pump while its in pieces. Its not driven by the cambelt but its easier with all the covers off.
Check also that the auxiliary belt is renewed and the tensioner bearing is quiet and smooth.
The 1.25 Fiesta I have just put back together,an S plate with full Ford history,was lucky at 86k the tensioner pulley broke up and let the belt go slack, just needed belt kit pump and auxiliary belt at a little over £300.
Reinforces my belief that 80k and 8 years is far enough for a Zetec belt.
03 2.0 Cambelt failure, what else has broken? - Rattle
If its a petrol it is a pitty its not a 1.8 as these far for common a good head would be quite cheap. The 2.0 is sadly rarer and a used cylinder head will be fairly expensive :(.

Hopefully you will get away with just a few bent valves but as usual it costs a lot of money just to strip it all down to find out :(.
For completeness - results: About 849 squiddicks for the job, from a "one man band". No idea whether water pump, etc., replaced. The head "needed skimming" - no idea why.
at 86k the tensioner pulley broke up and let the belt go slack...

>>
My 98 Mondeo had a belt change at 80K according to inherited service history.
After nasty noises at 120K I had the belt done again plus full kit.
The pulley was in a bad state so I surmise only the belt was changed at 80K
The pulley bearing seemed ok but the plastic skin on it appeared to have melted in places and was very badly split across its width. Shortly after I was handed the evidence the plastic skin parted company with the pulley.
My engine a a very close escape.