What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
What's the point of driving a quick car slowly? - woodster
Just venting my frustration here but left work today and got stuck behind an Aston Martin. Yes, stuck. I couldn't keep up in the 30's (since it was doing a steady 45ish) and then when we got to derestricted roads we managed a steady 40 but braked at the merest hint of any curve, whether we needed to or not. Any overtaking opportunities were thwarted by oncoming traffic. I'd be the first to defend anyone's choice of vehicle and their decision to drive er, carefully, but honestly, what's the point in bringing such a car out if it's to be driven so??

Edited by Honestjohn on 21/01/2009 at 22:26

What's the point? - steve_earwig
To annoy everyone else that can't afford one, of course.
What's the point? - Alan
I was on a single carriageway A road with almost no overtakeing spots stuck in a queue behind a lorry with the car at the front of the queue being an 08 reg 5 series BMW. When we got to the short 1 mile duel carriageway section the BMW pulled out and took the entire lenght to overtake at 57mph leaving everyone else still stuck behind the lorry. I don't know what his motives were or if it was deliberate but either way how does someone with so few brain cells afford a BMW. He shouldn't even be on the road.
What's the point? - Nsar
You sometimes see cars that are normally seen driven with gusto pootling along trying look all innocent often in the evening and you just sort of know the driver has probabaly had one over the limit and is doing his best to not to draw attention to himself and achieving the reverse.

I've absolutely no way of knowing, but it's just a hunch.

What's the point? - stunorthants26
May not have been the owner driving it, so may have been being over cautious.
I recall driving an old Corvette belonging to a Mr Ferry ( yeah I had to look him up but apparently popular in his day ) with extreme caution, since it was low, wide and LHD combined with narrow villages and wet roads.
It was worth more than my job, so I pootled along and id do it again.
What's the point of driving a quick car slowly? - stan10
Sensible WAG ? - if that's not a contradiction !

Edited by Honestjohn on 21/01/2009 at 22:27

What's the point of driving a quick car slowly? - madux
Have you never been stuck behind a 150+bhp Japanese sportsbike before?
The rider wearing racing leathers and knee-sliders and wobbling around the bends at 40mph?

What's the point of driving a quick car slowly? - Alby Back
Simple, he'll be on nine points with another case pending and is trying sooooo hard not to get any more.

What's the point of driving a quick car slowly? - DP
I am by no means Valentino Rossi, but I rode around the inside of one of these eejits on a roundabout once, who was hanging off his current plated GSXR1000 like a chimp and trying to scrape his kneeslider. He was going very slowly.

He seemed to take great offence at this, and blasted past a few hundred yards down the road making various obscene gestures.

All the gear. No idea. And stitched up by an amateur on an £800 banger.

Don't get me started on people who drive at 45 mph on open roads, and 45 mph through villages. grrrr...

What's the point of driving a quick car slowly? - bathtub tom
>>it would easily do 30mph in first

So will my Kia Pride (if I ignore the rev counter).

I worked with a guy who had a TreVoR. He'd take it out for a 'burn' every now and then, down the motorway - 70MPH in top!
We asked him what the rev limiter cut in at, he replied 'dunno, I've never taken it above 3,000RPM'.
What's the point of driving a quick car slowly? - redviper
what really gets me, and i always seem to be follwing someone who does it, is that you will be following someone who will be trundling along in a national speed limit where the road will allow 50/60 mph, they will be doing about 30/40 mph and then when you get to a village where its restricted to 30 mph they put there foot down and accelarate through it. whats that all about!

Edited by redviper on 21/01/2009 at 23:36

What's the point of driving a quick car slowly? - Pizza man
on the experince of my GTO Twin turbo and 4litre lexus it's usually the bloomin' traffic, but seriously the highest limit is 70mph in this country and fuel is really expensive so if i was holding people up it's cause i was saving fuel....

of course in my new car it's cause it takes 16 secs to reach 60 and it won't do 50mpg accellerating like that.
What's the point of driving a quick car slowly? - L'escargot
It's to make sure that everyone gets a good look at you and your car. There's no status value in having an expensive car if nobody knows it's yours. If you see somebody you know, toot your horn to get their attention. If you've got it, flaunt it!

Edited by L'escargot on 22/01/2009 at 07:37

What's the point of driving a quick car slowly? - Pizza man
the trick is getting a cheap car that looks expensive ;-) my lexus cost £800 and my GTO £3750
What's the point of driving a quick car slowly? - grumpyscot
It's to make sure that everyone gets a good look at you and your car.
There's no status value in having an expensive car if nobody knows it's yours. If
you see somebody you know toot your horn to get their attention. If you've got
it flaunt it!

And when they stop their new Aston Martin, you say - "is this the new Jag then?"
What's the point of driving a quick car slowly? - mike hannon
Presumably the guy with the Aston is one of these legendary people who owns a car when new that eventually turns up at a dealer's, advertised as 'ultra low mileage, never been out in the rain, certain investment', etc, etc.
If you don't try and experience what the car was - allegedly - made for, what's the point in owning it? Maybe the guy (assuming it was a guy) saves it for track days. I don't think. Posing around can't be that rewarding, can it?
While I think of it, I once followed a Ferrari 308 GT around 40mph almost all the way along the main road from Shaftesbury to Salisbury on a dry but dark summer evening. I simply couldn't find the opportunity to get my 80s Aerodeck past him!
And when I was a kid our family doctor (who kindled my interest in Motor Sport via the back copies in his waiting room) had a nice old Sunbeam Talbot 90 and a brand new MGB roadster - neither of which he ever drove above 30mph. Honest.
What's the point of driving a quick car slowly? - smokie
Maybe he likes it's current shape.

www.wreckedexotics.com/db7/db7_042902_01.shtml
What's the point of driving a quick car slowly? - Carse
Maybe they did not buy the car for its speed, maybe they bought it for the prestige and the luxury. Unfortunately there is no alternative if buying an Aston as they do not make a slow model.

Carse
What's the point of driving a quick car slowly? - v8man
Wow Just looked at that site. The Vanquish driver on the M42 had someone looking over him.
What's the point of driving a quick car slowly? - Bagpuss
The Vanquish driver on the M42 had someone looking over him.

Like this guy. The driver was the guy in the third photo holding the mobile phone (yes I know it's been on here before).

tinyurl.com/4phmcg

What's the point of driving a quick car slowly? - Cliff Pope
It's as pointless as going for a ramble in the country when you could be going for a run.
What's the point of driving a quick car slowly? - Big Bad Dave
What's that Will Smith line from "Summertime"

"Every moment frontin and maxin,
chillin in the car they spent all day waxin.
Leanin to the side but you can't speed through
Two miles an hour so everybody sees you"
What's the point of driving a quick car slowly? - BazzaBear {P}
Wow.

I hope you had to look those lyrics up. And even then, I'm not sure it excuses you having remembered their existence!

Anyway, doesn't fit the OPs point. The 30 zones are where there are people to see you, and apparently the driver was speeding through them.

It has to be said, my trip to work and back is a long 60 zone with a little 30 right in the middle. I regularly get caught behind mimsers in the 60's who then shoot off into the distance when I slow for the 30.
They're not usually in Astons though, even though I'm in Cheshire.

Edited by BazzaBear {P} on 22/01/2009 at 15:40

What's the point of driving a quick car slowly? - Big Bad Dave
"I hope you had to look those lyrics up"

It's my karaoke favourite.
What's the point of driving a quick car slowly? - woodster
I'm afraid I got fed up with said Aston and have to take confessional: I did a very cheeky um, 'passing manoeuvre' at a crossroads. Ahem. I was very naughty. Bet the driver was cursing me, tee hee. No cameras out here in rural Hertfordshire....
What's the point of driving a quick car slowly? - FocusDriver
Woods, I got stuck behind a newish Merc AMG today which hobbled along like it had a 600cc engine. About 27mph in 30 zones and a whizzy 34 or so in the 50 zones. I just stared at it's comely rear and dreamt of riches and a triple garage.

But to be fair, I don't get more annoyed because it's a newer faster car - definitely used to. I'd have to say that I get far more fed up stuck behind a Daewoo Matiz than an Aston Martin. After all it might be a V8 Vantage...
What's the point of driving a quick car slowly? - Sofa Spud
The simplest explanation for the Aston Martin was that it had something wrong with it and the driver was nursing it along. Or perhaps it was almost out of petrol and the driver was trying to get to the next filling station.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 23/01/2009 at 12:42

What's the point of driving a quick car slowly? - RichardW
I have had to overtake a Boxster S several times on the way to work, ambling along at <40. I always ask myself why - perhaps he could just afford the motor, but the petrol costs are breaking him??