What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
94 1.3 - Problem starting. Possible ECU fault? - sah79
Hi, i have got a mk3 fiesta that i was told had a fuel pump problem, i have changed the fuel pump and sender unit, but still wont start, have had ecu diagnosis, and apparently faults couldnt be cleared and need new ecu, engine fires up, and cranks, but wont go that bit further,
Have beem trying 2 get the old ECU out, but cant unclip it.........any ideas please!!!

Subject title given a more meaningful title than 'please help me' - which is vague to say the least!

Edited by Webmaster on 13/12/2008 at 12:30

94 1.3 PLEASE HELP ME - Javalin
Have you checked for sparks? DIS ok?

Sounds unlikely that it needs a new ECU. That said if you can get it out - check for corrosion on the pins.

James
94 1.3 PLEASE HELP ME - sah79
Hi, when i pour fuel into the injector it does start, but will only run whilst pouring the fuel, as soon as i stop, it just cuts out, 2 faults apparently came up on ecu tester, P2218 and p1460, i have tried looking for what this means, but i really dont know what i am doing!!!
Thanks for your help
>when i pour fuel into the injector it does start
can you clarify where you are pouring fuel exactly?

ODB2Codes says:
P1460 Wide Open Throttle Air Conditioning Cutoff circuit malfunction

Google says:
P2218 NOx Sensor Heater Control Circuit/Open (Bank 2)

Not sure about the P2218 description though - bank2?

I wonder if the ECU thinks the throttle is wide open (hence the code) and has stopped the fuel injection to avoid a flood condition. Check the throttle and cabling if you can.

James

Edited by Javalin on 15/12/2008 at 11:28

Its a single port injector, took the air filtr off the top and poured it into the where the injector is, also sprayed easy start in and that had the same effect, run until stopped spraying!
Sorry i am a useless female, and i am trying to put as much informatio in as i can lol
Your help is very much appreciated
Shelly
>Sorry i am a useless female
you're doing ok so far - better than most

So you're actually pouring the fuel into the air-intake and its finding its way in.

Seems to point to a lack of fuel though.

Not 100% about those code descriptions - hopefully somebody with access to AutoData will come along and provide the proper code descriptions...

Can you check/have checked the throttle sensor & cables?

When you turn the key on (just to ignition - not started) - do you hear the fuel pump prime? I.e a quick "wurr"

James
the fuel is going directly to the injector, (where a carb would be if it had one) had an auto elecctrician out, and pump does work, he tried to bypass the cut off switch, but didnt work! grrrrr im so stuck lol
Hiya

Mute point - but - the injector is connected to the fuel pump, pressurised and sealed. So the fuel you are pouring in is going with the air into the cylinders. Not physically possible to pour into the injectors....

Sounds like it is the throttle sensor then. Definatly unlikely to be the ECU if the car will start.

Hmmm. Best get your electrical guy out aqain maybe?

James
94 1.3 - Problem starting. Possible ECU fault? - mfarrow
Have beem trying 2 get the old ECU out but cant unclip it.........any ideas please!!!

Tamperproofing! Is this the one under the kick panel? You'll get there by drilling the old one out.

What faults are stored that won't clear and what have you got in terms of spark/fuel?
94 1.3 - Problem starting. Possible ECU fault? - sah79
Hi, when i pour fuel into the injector it does start, but will only run whilst pouring the fuel, as soon as i stop, it just cuts out, 2 faults apparently came up on ecu tester, P2218 and p1460, i have tried looking for what this means, but i really dont know what i am doing!!! Also, the ECU is located up behind the glove box, have removed the screws but cant unclip the wires.
Thanks for your help
94 1.3 - Problem starting. Possible ECU fault? - andy@ford
sounds daft but try disconecting the exhaust system before the cat. this may mean its just from the manifold but i have had one on an occassion that the catalyst in the exhaust was blocked and the built up back pressure was stopping it from starting. be warned tho it will be noisey.