What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2005 1.6 Cold weather creaking noise - keppy
Hi ,
Ford Focus 1600 Ghia purchased April 2005
Had this niggle last winter and now its back again.

Noticeable creaking sounds from either suspension or steering, only heard at speeds below 25mph and also when temp is below approx 7c.
No problem in higher temperatures.
Otherwise a good car with no other problems . Might even replace with same model next time .
This creaking is very annoying.... I am sure it is related to the colder weather .
Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks ,
Ken

Edited by Pugugly on 14/12/2008 at 11:06

2005 1.6 Cold Weather Creaking Noise - MikeTorque
I get the same noise on my 2005 Focus 1.6 TDCi, it's most noticable when reversing onto the road first thing in the morning when it's cold. It is worse during the colder weather and it is also noticable in warmer weather but to a lesser extent. On the move there is no such noise.

The fix is to have a Ford garage go over the front suspension, steering joints, etc. and find out which components require lubrication or replacing. I'll probably have them go over it the next time it's booked in.

I agree with you regarding getting the same model next time, it's a superb car to drive is the Focus II, although I may wait for the Focus III which is due out in 2010.

2005 1.6 Cold Weather Creaking Noise - andy@ford
two commen faults are the steering arms (track rods) creak within their ball joints whitch attatch them to the steering gear. also a number of vehicles suffer from the top suspension mount bearings can be noisey. any ford dealer should be aware of these faults.
2005 1.6 Cold Weather Creaking Noise - MikeTorque
Thanks Andy, I'm going to get the Focus booked in and sorted rather than wait any longer, the creaking sounded worse than ever today so it needs rectifying.
2005 1.6 Cold Weather Creaking Noise - mikev
I had this problem with a 2006 model I purchased in September. The cause was the top suspension mounts which Ford replaced under warranty.
2005 1.6 Cold Weather Creaking Noise - keppy
Thanks for the comments guys.
As i stated it is more noticeable to me in the colder weather.
I am not a tecky but assume certain metal is contracting and causing friction ?
Is there a spray or lubrication i can apply to any particular joint to try and pin point the cause?

Thanks
Ken

2005 1.6 Cold Weather Creaking Noise - keppy
any lubrication or spray suggestions ? steering joints or suspension ?
Cheers
Ken
2005 1.6 Cold Weather Creaking Noise - whoopwhoop
If coming from the rear, it's most likely to be where the rear springs sit in the wishbones. Just empty a can of WD40 in there and it should go away.... did on ours.

For longer lasting fix, try something with Teflon added. Maybe even something like spray copper greese?

Make sure you put a newspaper underneath while the excess drains off or you'll cause a mess and/or slippage.