What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
03 1.8 Wiper Problem! - nswatman
Ok, I don't like electrics much and have a problem with my 2003 Focus Ghia. The wipers work fine in all modes except the one-touch function. When you push the stalk down the wipers start to move but as soon as you let your finger off the stalk... They stop! They only work when you are actually holding down the stalk! They obviously should do a full sweep and return to the starting possition after just one tap down on the wiper stalk.

Any ideas where to look. Is this likely to be a swith problem or something like the relay. Any ideas welcome. As I say, I don;t like electrics!!!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/11/2008 at 00:43

03 1.8 Focus Wiper Problem! - Screwloose

Do they do a full sweep on intermittent wipe? The relay [in the fascia fusebox] has a habit of failing.
03 1.8 Focus Wiper Problem! - nswatman
It is working fine in all modes and completing full sweeps. Each time returning to the home possition no problem. It is only the one touch function that is giving me the problems.

Edited by nswatman on 26/11/2008 at 19:46

03 1.8 Focus Wiper Problem! - Screwloose

If the intermittent is OK; then get the GEM module checked for codes and operating commands.
03 1.8 Focus Wiper Problem! - nswatman
Thanks for your help. Tracked it down today. Apparently, the one touch function only sends a 12v pulse from the multifunction wiper switch directly to the wiper motor. After testing, I found it was the motor. A quick replace of the motor and its all sorted out. Thanks folks.
03 1.8 Focus Wiper Problem! - gadgee
you appear to have it sorted but this is a common problem mentioned a few times before on this site. It is usually the relay for the front wipers. I bought one from Ford for £8. Dont know what you paid for a motor though?
03 1.8 Focus Wiper Problem! - Cozza_m
Do they do a full sweep on intermittent wipe? The relay [in the fascia fusebox]
has a habit of failing.

Its relay 19 behind the glove box.

Drop glove box. Remove 2 screws holding fuse/relay panel. Unclip and remove relay.

Part number 1552133 or Engineering number: 1S4T-14B192-AA

Its a 5-pin grey micro relay.

Cost £4.99 + VAT.

10 minute job. I hope it helps.
03 1.8 Focus Wiper Problem! - Flobagobble

Can you please tell me where I can buy the wiper relay for £4.99 + VAT!!! I have been quoted £28 from Ford and, as this is a very common problem on the Focus, I don't think it wise to buy second hand/used!!