What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
parking sensors - El Hacko
G'Day

appreciate advice, pse: want to fit parking sensor(s) to rear of Lexus 200 SE - Lexus dealer quotes £371 to supply/fit "general" (not Lexus) kit, which involves removing bumper to instal rather than drilling. Can I purchase and fit same without too much technical knowhow - if so, from where, pse?

many thanks
Andrew (Epsom)
parking sensors - svpworld
I bought mine from Makros for £20+vat! They are the stick on ones though, not bumper flush fit. You can get the flush fit for about £75-£85 which requires drilling the bumper. Wiring is simple as you just connect two wires to reversing light inside the boot and run the sensor wires up to the main unit. I fitted a pair to an omega, mounted the self adhesive sensors on the lower lip of the boot lid (after removing the badges), lipped the wires over the boot edge and under the trim -the rubber weather seal protects wires from damage and maintains a good water seal. The main unit houses the beeper and LED's, I didnt need the visual indication so just mounted the box under the rear parcel shelf so I could hear the bee-beep-beep warning when I reverse. Well worth the money but don't rely on it 100%, always look behind first and reverse carefully at angles as the sensors often have black spots!
On a Lexus you would probably want something more discreet - theres one company that do a microwave strip system where you attach a foil strip inside the plastic bumper. Its good because you dont need to drill the bumpers and theres no blackspots, disadvantages are that it only works when theres relative motion between the car and surrounding objects (you have to be moving slightly) and also control unit has to be attached outside the car near the strip. You also of course have to remove and clean the bumper!

S.

I saw a kit by Bosch called "Park Pilot". I think it is based on the system they supply OEM to manufacturers, therefore any installation will look just as if it was factory fitted. I think it was £80 for the kit which is more than those stick-on kits but all the "consumer" stuff I have seen looks very dodgy.

Gareth
parking sensors - El Hacko
many thanks for replies - prefer sound of the latter suggestion.
parking sensors - johnC
appreciate advice, pse: want to fit parking sensor(s) to rear
of Lexus 200 SE - Lexus dealer quotes £371 to supply/fit
\"general\" (not Lexus) kit, which involves removing bumper to
install rather than drilling. Can I purchase and fit same
without too much technical knowhow - if so, from where, pse?

I\'m shortly taking delivery of new Lexus IS200 and would very much like to know how you got on with your choice of reverse parking sensors,please. JohnC