What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
What price a main dealer service? - ifithelps
The ifithelps Focus is paying its annual visit to the Ford garage today.

Would any forum members like to guess what I'll be paying later on.

Car is a 2002 1.8 Tdci with 79k on the clock.

Booked in for sixth annual service, which I think is a major one, plus MoT.

Nothing wrong with it as far as I know.

So, what would be a reasonable bill?

I'll post the actual sum later today.

Edited by ifithelps on 19/11/2008 at 11:18

What price a main dealer service? - DP
I'll open the bidding at £300
What price a main dealer service? - Altea Ego
£380
What price a main dealer service? - captain chaos
The dealer should be able to tell you up front how much it will cost you for the service. Might be worthwhile ringing round other Ford dealers further afield for prices too
Oops, sorry, missed the last part of your post ifithelps. I'd still try ringing round though
What price a main dealer service? - Number_Cruncher
Taking a 6 year old car to a dealer is like volunteering for open wallet surgery - I expect they'll come up with a list of work as long as your arm.

What price a main dealer service? - movilogo
In my local newspaper Ford is giving ad for £99 service. Not sure what is included though.
What price a main dealer service? - Happy Blue!
Probably a biggie service plus MoT - say £345 inc VAT
What price a main dealer service? - Paddler Ed
I take my 8 year old Volvo to the main dealer for a service; it's about to go in for it's 210k service at 203k (had a couple done on annual rather than mileage so it's out a bit)

Quoted price for that service?

£190 for the full service

£150 for the Volvo Essential (for older cars)

I'm going full service this time, did an essential last time.

Biggest bill? £400 for the cambelt change at 184k

The cost of servicing, adn the fact that a V40 can be insured for less than a mondeo is why my GF is looking at a V40 to replace her fiesta>> Probably a biggie service plus MoT - say £345 inc VAT
A plastic cover on the seat and half a bottle of screenwash ;-)
Update - just had the: 'we've made a start and it needs...' call.

Not too bad, brake fluid needs changing on the basis it hasn't been done for at least two years - £35, accepted that.

Wiper blades on 'amber' or somesuch - declined that. They were changed last year and I think they should last another one.

Nothing else mentioned, so I can't accuse them of coming up with a long list to top up the bill.

That's good. Obviously they want you to come back next year instead of wanting to make a fast buck.
What price a main dealer service? - Armitage Shanks {p}
I have had my 307 hdi main dealer serviced 3 times and the bill has never been over £200. I use the main dealer as I get good personalised service and attention and I don't know of a local independent who has all the stuff to read codes and deal with EOLYS and FAPs. (See my comments on Recommended Garages in FAQs) I recommend this garage if you live in South Lincs/North Cambs.
What price a main dealer service? - the_bandit
I'll go for £285.
What price a main dealer service? - peanut

Peanut
What price a main dealer service? - madf
I always get a quote before my cat eneters a garage for routine servicing.
ALways.
That way lies cost control...

Giving a car to a garage without a quoted cost is like opening your wallet and letting them use your credit card.. In fact it's not "like".

It IS letting them use your credit card.

As it is a Ford, there are fixed price servicing schedules.

I reckon £299.
And the winner is.....

Me, I reckon, because the bill was £274 - pretty good for a no holds barred main dealer service including brake fluid change and MoT.

Other than tyres, I've not spent anything on servicing since this time last year.

I do about 13k a year and if I can again get away with not visiting the garage until the next scheduled service, I'll be quite happy.