What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Plastic brake pipes - safe? - Rattle
I noticed on the last MOT the advisory said the brake pipes needed doing, I checked the state of them before they bought the car and discovered they looked brand new, he said he couldn't remember what work was done but they did all the advisories.

However they seemed to be made out of some kind of plastic like you get on washing machine flexihoses. My dads car (same car) had the brake pipes done last year and they are metal all neatly put round the fuel tank, on my car they seem to come from under the sill.

Is this dodgy workmanship? I am going to have a good look under the car on saturday when my machanic puts it on the ramp but until then?

Plastic brake pipes - safe? - Mr.Tee43
They are plastic coated metal to prevent corrosion.

Edited by Mr.Tee43 on 23/10/2008 at 17:46

Thanks and I assume there is no problem with one of them coming up from behind the sill? I guess its passed the MOT so its fine.

Sorry about all these posts, I just love learning about things so any unusual things I find on my car is a good excuse to learn something new :D.
Plastic brake pipes - safe? - mfarrow
Thanks and I assume there is no problem with one of them coming up from
behind the sill?

That's fine - it's either that or the stiffening tunnel. The main issue is that it avoids the exhaust.
Plastic brake pipes - safe? - L'escargot
Thanks and I assume there is no problem with one of them coming up from
behind the sill? I guess its passed the MOT so its fine.

I think the MOT will only consider the condition of the pipes, not the route they follow. I doubt whether the route is safe/advisable or not is an MOT concern.
Plastic brake pipes - safe? - csgmart
on saturday when my machanic puts it on the ramp but until then?

Rattle - please don't take offence - it's mechanic not machanic.

I've seen you use that word several times now and I can't let it go by without pointing it out. ;-)
Sorry feel a bit daft now.
Plastic brake pipes - safe? - L'escargot
it's mechanic not machanic.

Definately!
;-)