What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
04 270cdi Oil specification - smoke
Heya
Quick question, does anyone know the oil speicification for the 270cdi engine?
thanks

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/10/2008 at 00:56

04 270cdi Oil specification 270cdi - Number_Cruncher
I think (check the manual), that for longlife servicing, it needs oil to 229.5, but, if there's a DPF fitted, you must use 229.51 oil which is a low ash forming oil. Further to this, there's also a special fleece filter for longlife use. When you've changed the oil, there's also a setting in the service menu which allows you to enter the oil quality used, and it tweaks the mileage countdown to the next service accordingly.

04 270cdi Oil specification 270cdi - smoke
Thanks N_C.
In the manual it states "you cmay use any passenger vehicle endine oil which has been tested and approved for MB. Observe the specificatsion for service products sheets 229.1 229.3 or 229.5 depending on engine...... MB specifications for service products sheet 229.31 apply to EURO4 standard engine model with DPF".
This is where i am confused. Does the ML270CDI have a EURO 4 engine ?
thanks
Yes, if you aren't following longlife servicing, oil from sheet 229.3 is OK, but, if DPF is fitted, 229.31 is required.

>>ML270CDI have a EURO 4 engine ?

I think it depends upon when the engine and vehicle were made. Some CDI engines do have DPF, some don't, and which is which is way beyond my meagre knowledge of CDI engines - the oil info I picked up in passing while working out which oil to use in my E300D.

You *can't* be causing damage if you use an oil to 229.51 on either service regime, but, you may be over-doing it - again for normal servicing intervals, you can't be wrong if you use oil to 229.31.

If you do have DPF, and you don't use one of the 299.x1 oils, you run the risk of clogging the DPF with ash from the inevitable burnt oil. If you don't have DPF, using either oil to 299.x or 229.x1 is OK.
Type your VIN in here;

old.mbclub.ru/mb/vin/?lng=eng

and check the build options list.

You may find an entry for EU4 emissions, but what you're really looking for is an explicit statement that the particle filter option is fitted (it may be option 474)

04 270cdi Oil specification 270cdi - drbe
Type your VIN in here;
old.mbclub.ru/mb/vin/?lng=eng

Didn't work for me. It said - IIRC - illegal, erroneous, manufactured in 2005 or 2006 (it's a 2008)
04 270cdi Oil specification 270cdi - Bill Payer
No 270CDi engine is EU4 - MB dropped the 5cyl engine and replaced it with a V6 diesel (or a higher power 4cyl engine in saloons when they moved to EU4.

I don't think any MB uses a DPF in the UK?

MB insists on 229.x1 on cars with diesel cats, but there's much evidence that dealers ignore this.

The handbook lists the oil spec - I have a C270CDi and there's a huge range of possibilities and viscosities, which seem would indicate that it's not an engine that's fussy about its oil.
>>I don't think any MB uses a DPF in the UK?

I know it's a rare fitment, but I didn't think that absolutely none were used.

>>but there's much evidence that dealers ignore this.

Which doesn't make it right or appropriate - I think that MB know a lot more than their dealers do. (In fact the last time I was at my local dealer buying parts, I watched a chap with a CDI being sold an inappropriate oil over the parts counter)

>>a huge range of possibilities and viscosities,

Yes, there are a wide range of oils which meet most of the vaious MB 22x.yz oil speciifcations.
04 270cdi Oil specification 270cdi - prm72
Strange, this one, my brothers got an 06 Mercedes CLS with a DPF ( nice clean tailpipes ) and my 57 reg E280 sport cdi has go sooty pipes, so no DPF which i find very strange on a late car?