What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
05 1.4 noisy water pump - cliff
My water pump has started squealing a little bit, if I spray some WD40 on the bearing it stops for a short time, is there an additive I can put in the water to help lubrication?
05 1.4 noisy water pump - Dynamic Dave
is there an additive I can put in the water to help lubrication?

No. The pump needs replacing. What I suspect is currently happening is that the seal for the bearing is leaking and the coolant is washing out the lubricant. It will only get worse and eventually fail.
05 1.4 noisy water pump - cliff
Hi Dave thanx for your reply although I'm not actually losing any water so it's either early stages or something else.

Assuming you are correct is it a job I can do? It is at least accessible, I've changed bits like this on older cars, do you know of anything I should watch out for?
05 1.4 noisy water pump - bikerider
On the later fiestas there is a timing belt pulley bolted onto the pump,it might be an idea to take the timing cover off and check. if this is the case the timing belt will have to be changed as well. This engine has a floating bottom pulley[No keyway to locate the pulley] without the proper timing pins i would think twice before undertaking the repair on the drive way.
05 1.4 noisy water pump - 547HEW
Petrol or diesel engine?
05 1.4 noisy water pump - Dynamic Dave
Hi Cliff, I have no knowledge of Ford engine set ups, so no idea if the water pump is driven by the cambelt or auxiliary belt. Hopefully someone else will be along to advise. edit, see, I was right

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/10/2008 at 12:02