What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Petrol vs. diesel - GroovyMucker
Settled on replacing SWMBO's 1.3 Corolla with a Focus, which fulfils her criteria of not being showy, cheap to run, reliable and big enough but not too big. 1.6 engine.

It will do 8,000 miles a year, and I calculate (allowing for differentials in fuel costs, servicing, mpg, road tax) that Drivethedeal's prices would allow us to recoup the additional premium for a diesel car over a petrol one in 3 years. These calcs based on a Zetec.

So ... which is it to be? Do we take the "guaranteed" savings a diesel will bring after three years, and gamble on the engine and DMF lasting well, or do we go for the simpler petrol engine and running costs without the prospect of big surprises?

Petrol vs. diesel - movilogo
Only 8000 miles a year doesn't require a diesel engine.
Are you buying new? If not under warranty, diesel can be a pain.

Petrol vs. diesel - Blue {P}
My boss has just had his 2.0 TDCi Focus II remapped to 168bhp and 285 lb/ft torque.

I have to say, whilst it may not always save a lot of money, he does at least now have a car that has considerably more grunt than my V6 and it's costing a lot less in fuel (although my LPG conversion has evened the score somewhat!)

Petrol vs. diesel - gordonbennet
GM, i assume you are intending to keep long term as you are concerned at possible costs after warranty (mind you it seems DMF's don't always get replaced free under warranty).

What will be the likely value of the car when you come to sell at whatever age, crystal ball could be reqd here to guess the price of fuels and the esteem that the 2 types of engine will be regarded with at the time..does that make sense..no though not.

Someone has to say it, if you are going for longer term ownership could a Kia ceed/hyndai i30 be a safer bet with their much longer warranties?
Its high time the other makers put their money etc regarding warranties and matched those Koreans with the faith they have in their own product, its no good them telling us just how much better theirs are than those from the Far East, its time they stood by their promises, so far only Fiat has done so IIRC.
Yes, buying new with the intention of keeping it 10 years.

We nearly got an ST because the orange is "such a nice colour".

Wouldn't have any rooted objection to a Korean car, but had it in the back of my mind that they weren't as safe on the EuroNCAP score. Might check that out.

Petrol vs. diesel - daveyjp
Diesels need high miles. 8000 a year is petrol only territory.
Petrol vs. diesel - 1066
forget about the economy debate and go for the engine you like the best that suits your driving style.
if your're looking at new could you not blag an extended test drive from your local ford dealer. veen if they havent got a focus deisel they will prob have a c-max for you to test.
Sorted.

Went for the petrol.
Petrol vs. diesel - cheddar
>>which fulfils her criteria of not being showy
We nearly got an ST because the orange is "such a nice colour".

?

Agree petrol at that mileage though which 1.6, the VVT is lower CO2 and a little more punchy.
"?"

You were looking for logic?

:)