What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
SEAT pulls out from Touring Cars - BobbyG
Whilst finally getting round to watching the BTCC from Sunday I was saddened to hear that SEAT have decided to pull out of the Touring Cars and also the Seat Cupra Competition which was one of the support races on BTCC days.

Don't know what the politics or reasons behind this are but I personally feel that the SEAT brand has grown dramatically in the last 4 or 5 years, while the BTCC link is a coincidence or not I don't know? They have also invested a lot of money in putting their TDI racers on the track and even winning races.

Many moons ago, when Volvo first brough their T5 Estates to the BTCC, I felt that this gave them a whole new image etc and the same has happened with SEAT IMHO.

Curious as to reasons for withdrawal, wonder if they had decided the TDI was too expensive or maybe not competitive enough, but could not go back to petrol for marketing reasons?

This from SEAT website

www.seatsportuk.co.uk/BTCC/2008_btccnews.asp?ID=21...5

Is there any manufacturer coming in to replace them? Field is getting narrower and narrower and is really only going to have BMWs, Vauxhall and Honda with I think only Vauxhall being a manufacturers team.

I only hope this does't mean BTCC is in decline, went to my first meeting this year at Knockhill and son and I had a fantastic day out!

SEAT pulls out from Touring Cars - harib
I was in the same position as you. I hadn't watched the BTCC for about 3 years and tuned into the coverage on Sunday, just be coincidence. I heard about the SEAT withdrawal, and thought it was surprising, especially as Jason Plato and Darren Turner still had one year to go on their contracts IIRC. They appeared to be doing reasonably well, so maybe expense is an issue.

SEAT also run TDIs in the WTCC (World Touring Car Championship), where they are currently leading the standings with Yvan Muller. I don't know if there is any difference between the BTCC and WTCC cars. If there is, maybe they decided to put all of their eggs into one basket and focus on winning the WTCC this year and next?
SEAT pulls out from Touring Cars - Altea Ego
The writing was on the wall. Seat pitched the TDis in late in the development cycle - almost as an afterthought, so much hurried work had to be done during the racing season to develop the cars, and frankly they started to worry the other teams. They were very quick, and towards the end handled well (eating front tyres sometimes) and the drivers had got used to using the diesel engines in racing. Suffered some reliability issues at times (tuned to the edge apparently) , but it was amazing how un-smokey they were

Damn fine car all round it seems. But jason plato knew the game was up, Seat dont make much money for VAG (in fact recently they toyed with selling them off or scrapping them).

SEAT pulls out from Touring Cars - Jase
*Sorry for off topic post*

I think if SEAT had carried on down the road of the original Leon they would be doing better. By cobbling together some really good bits from the VAG parts bin, screwing them together reasonably well and wrapping it up in a distinctive body they were onto a winner.

The original Leon Cupra's/20VTs in particular were an excellent package following the simple formula of offering more performance, more standard kit and better handling than their posher VAG stablemates for less money (acknowledging their lack of prestige) and they sold well. I still miss mine.

Then it all seemed to go a bit wrong with slightly awkwardly styled, identikit offerings (new Leon, Altea, Toledo) with too plasticky interiors. Now the new Ibiza has been saddled with an old, weak engine range.

I wonder if VAG are in fact driving SEAT onto the rocks, as in the meantime Skoda have continued to get better and offer great cars.