What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
97 1.4 Zetec Stalling Problems when slowing down. - freerider
Hi,

I've read the comprehensive thread regarding the stalling issues for the Fiesta 1.3 engine but couldn't find anything regarding the 1.4 Zetec.

I own a 1.4 Fiesta Chicane P-Reg.

I bought it second hand a couple of years ago and have had trouble free motoring until now.

Whenever I begin braking and press the clutch the rev's quickly drop below 500rpm. It doesn?t matter what gear it is in. The car begins to feel like it is going to stall and on occasion it does. Say if I am driving around town (London) for 30mins it will stall once or twice.

The car is regularly serviced and I have just had a new exhausted put in. The old one was rusted.

Any ideas?

Reading the posts regarding the 1.3 engine could it be the Idle control valve??

The engine idles fine while the car is stationary in traffic. Considering the problem arises when the clutch is pressed could there be a fault with the clutch?

If anyone has any idea where I should start looking that would be great. I?m planning to take it to my local garage and any information before I go would reduce the pain of having to pay for any unnecessary repairs.

Cheers,

Will.

97 1.4 Zetec Stalling Problems when slowing down. - Screwloose
Will

Given your symptoms; a quick clean and squirt of WD40 in the idle control valve must be worth a try.
97 1.4 Zetec Stalling Problems when slowing down. - dcauto
no it nothing to do with the clutch change the idle control valve and it should solve it the reason why she cuts out when u press the pedal is cause the valve is not allowing enough air through change it and you be grand
97 1.4 Zetec Stalling Problems when slowing down. - hrvoje dagelic
In my case I believe it was the lambda sensor that was sporadically failing:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=61...4

If the car is sometimes hesitating when accelerating and you eliminated IACV etc; it's worth a look.