1999 1.8 petrol coolant query? - jp147
I just have a couple of concerns about the coolant in my Ford Focus 1.8 Petrol (1999 T).

Firstly, when I check the coolant reservoir, I notice that on the inside surface of the reservoir there are what look like bubbles/condensation which are present whether the car is cold or hot it seems. I haven't taken much notice before now about this.

Secondly, as far as I know the coolant has never been completely renewed since the car was new, although I have always kept the concentration of the coolant mixture correct and it has a FSH. When I look at the coolant in the reservoir I notice that it has a small amount of "debris" - would a certain amount be normal ?

engine variant inserted

Edited by Pugugly on 23/08/2008 at 22:46

1999 1.8 petrol coolant query? - DP
Firstly when I check the coolant reservoir I notice that on the inside surface of
the reservoir there are what look like bubbles/condensation

My former Mondeo and Fiesta were exactly the same. I know exactly what you mean and can picture it in my head. Nothing to worry about. If it's the same as the phenomenon I'm thinking of, it almost looks as if it's trapped between two layers of plastic. Big bubbles appearing in the tank with the engine running would be bad news, but if it's just small "static" condensation/bubbles, don't worry about it.
When I look at the coolant in the reservoir I
notice that it has a small amount of "debris" - would a certain amount be
normal ?

Fords of this era are filled with a coolant that's supposed to last for 10 years, so if it's been serviced to the letter of Ford's recommendations, and has never needed the coolant to be drained for any other purpose, it will still be the original stuff in the system. Assuming this is the case, yours is coming up due for renewal anyway, and I would expect it to pick up some rubbish and scale after 9 years. Drain, flush, and refill with a good quality coolant mix.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 23/08/2008 at 23:38

1999 1.8 petrol coolant query? - quizman
If I were you I would change the coolant. If your car is nearly 10 years old you should change the cam belt, water pump and idlers.

I would change the oil as well, you should use a 5W-30 A1/B1 oil. If the engine burns any oil you ought to use 10W-40 semi-syn. Make sure you do not overfill it, it can ruin the engine. Are the plugs OK, I used to use NGK.

On oldish cars the wheel bearings can wear out, have a good look at these. While you are at it you might like to check the brakes, the calipers can easily seize up. It happened to a friend of mine.

On my mother's Focus the exhaust went at 5 years, is yours still the original?

Happy motoring.