What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Castrol Edge HTHS Viscosity, mPa?s @ 150ºC ??? - oilrag
Castrol don`t seem to give the HTHS viscosity on their spec sheets, while Mobil 1 and others do.

I rang Castrol to to discuss oil specs and was told-seemingly "no, you won`t find that" Why? (didn`t like to ask...)

More on the subject.

"High-temperature high-shear-rate (HTHS) viscosity is an indicator of a motor oil's resistance to flow in the narrow spaces between rapidly moving parts in fully warmed up engines. The most common test here is ASTM D 4683, which simulates the conditions found in an engine's crankshaft and connecting rod bearings, as well as other narrow regions. This measurement has important implications for such factors as engine fuel economy, valvetrain wear and bearing protection."

Source

tinyurl.com/5zxtwz

Castrol Edge HTHS Viscosity, mPa?s @ 150ºC ??? - L'escargot
Castrol don`t seem to give the HTHS viscosity on their spec sheets while Mobil 1
and others do.
I rang Castrol to to discuss oil specs and was told-seemingly "no you won`t find
that" Why? (didn`t like to ask...)

Is this website of any help? tinyurl.com/dwq5j
Castrol Edge HTHS Viscosity, mPa?s @ 150ºC ??? - Number_Cruncher
Does your engine manufacturer specify a range of acceptable HTHS values? If not, even if the oil company supplied the data, how would you know if the oil were suitable?

Not sometrhing to lose any sleep over IMO.

Castrol Edge HTHS Viscosity, mPa?s @ 150ºC ??? - gmac
In the heading you ask for this reading at 150 ?
Any reason why 150 ? Most oils run in the range 100 to 120 when up to temp.
Are you thinking of hammering the Punto van round Silverstone in the near future ?
Castrol Edge HTHS Viscosity, mPa?s @ 150ºC ??? - Roger Jones
The link above didn't work for me. This one does:

tinyurl.com/5f5lea

Seconds later: well I'll be . . . the original link now works.

Edited by Roger Jones on 10/08/2008 at 12:49

Castrol Edge HTHS Viscosity, mPa?s @ 150ºC ??? - oilrag
Cheers everyone ;) No. Its just technical interest, *for the sake of it*.

Here are two random Spec Sheets for Castrol and Mobil. Castrol despite the `intelligent molecules` and so on, seems to not divulge HTHS viscosity. It seems the same with all their car engine oils.

tinyurl.com/5chd6h

tinyurl.com/68p3df

Thanks for the links Es`c & Roger

The Crate`s on Mobil 1 0w40, by the way, I won`t be changing that.

Edited by oilrag on 10/08/2008 at 15:27

Castrol Edge HTHS Viscosity, mPa?s @ 150ºC ??? - Hamsafar
Castrol is a boutique brand for the dumb end user, it is sold in fancy bottles with hologram labels and pull-out easy-pour spout and probably has a competition on the side and a picture of an F1 driver smiling. That is why they keep such complicated things secret. Time to go pro oil.
Castrol Edge HTHS Viscosity, mPa?s @ 150ºC ??? - quizman
Castrol is a boutique brand for the dumb end user it is sold in fancy
bottles with hologram labels and pull-out easy-pour spout and probably has a competition on the
side and a picture of an F1 driver smiling. That is why they keep such
complicated things secret. Time to go pro oil.

Rubbish.

Edited by Pugugly on 10/08/2008 at 19:02

Castrol Edge HTHS Viscosity, mPa?s @ 150ºC ??? - Pugugly
And certainly not the views of the management here !