What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
92 1.8d Steering UJ Replacement - pullgees
The UJ on the steering shaft needs replacing. It looks to me that the steering column has to be withdrawn to get at it. Haynes gives no info on this job. Is it a job that can be done at home and how difficult is it?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/06/2008 at 13:24

92 1.8d Steering UJ Replacement - topbloke
you change these from under the bonnet just remove both bolts, slide the uj up the shaft disconect from rack slide down from column, if you can try to put and keep the steering wheel straight, cant remember if there is a master spline on these if not and the steering wheel is not held in the same position then when the jobs finnished the wheel can off centre not a problem it's self but annoying !
92 1.8d Steering UJ Replacement - pullgees
Okay this is sounding encouraging,but everything is very close to the bulkhead and cant see that there is room to slide the uj anywhere. There is a pinch bolt that connects the uj to the rack and I guess there is another pinch bolt that secures the uj to the shaft. But I can't see how I can slide the uj off without withdrawing the shaft through the bulkhead.
92 1.8d Steering UJ Replacement - topbloke
trust me done loads