What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
52 1.3 Power steering fluid leak - Pica
Just noticed a fairly large puddle of steering fluid under my daughters 2002 Ford KA, does anyone know whether this means it needs a new rack and if so what the likely costs will be?
52 1.3 Power steering fluid leak - flatcap
Hi

I recently had this problem with my Nissan Almera, turns out to be the power steering pump that had failed and it needed a new pump and refilled with fluid. I got this done under warranty so I didnt have to pay. I think some pumps can be rebuilt, mine was a sealed unit.

Does the pump make a noise when you turn the wheel with the engine running?
52 1.3 Power steering fluid leak - RichardW
There are plenty of other places for it leak - the tank, pump and pipes. Needs a good look around underneath to determine the exact leak spot before any idea of price to repair can be given!
The steering is fine and there is no noise but it is so difficult to see anything as everything is so compact
52 1.3 Power steering fluid leak - flatcap
Could just be split hose then or a failed joint, I'd get it looked at to see what needs replaced, may just a simple repair.
Looks like it is the rack that is leaking. Ford dealer quoted just shy of £900 but my trusty local indie has quoted £360

52 1.3 Power steering fluid leak - bimmer-driver
If you're indy can get hold of a rack at the moment that is. Rare as rocking horse poo currently- we can sell all we can get our hands on as they're a common KA and Fiesta fault.
"If you're indy can get hold of a rack at the moment that is" - oh joy! I have not booked it in yet so this looks like it could be a problem too then :(

Carparts direct are advertising them (reconditioned) so this will be tomorrows project.

Thanks for all the responses
52 1.3 Power steering fluid leak - tj64

the leak is most likely coming from the prssure switch - which is located in the pipe line just under the radiator ... about £30 pound from ford direct ....

http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_focus_power_steering_pump_pressure_switch_f_1076646_c_660.htm

BTW ... I know the link says FOCUS - but trust me, its the same switch - fits about 20 diff cars .... lol NOT all of them fords

Edited by tj64 on 13/09/2012 at 16:52