What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
M40-M42-M6-M62 to Liverpool, BH Mon late pm? - oldnotbold
It's time to fetch #1 daughter from university. How will the route M40-M42-M6-M62 be, leaving Oxfordshire at about 6 pm on the BH Mon 26th May? is most of the traffic coming S, or will there be hordes making their way N on the M6 from a w/e in the W Country.
M40-M42-M6-M62 to Liverpool, BH Mon late pm? - scouseford
Personally I wouldn't touch the M6 or the M62 on a bank holiday (or any other time to be honest).

I would suggest M40-M42(westward)-A448 to Kidderminster-A442-A41-A55-M53-Mersey Tunnel to Liverpool Centre.

It might well take longer than the motorway route but it will be a much more pleasant experience.

If you do decide to follow this route make sure that you have £1.40 ready in non copper coinage for the Mersey Tunnel toll.
M40-M42-M6-M62 to Liverpool, BH Mon late pm? - Nsar
M6 Keele to M62 turn-off could be trouble but mostly at the Southerly end.

I don't agree with Scouseford I'm afraid. I'd stick to Mway all the way.

Good luck
M40-M42-M6-M62 to Liverpool, BH Mon late pm? - Bill Payer
I have to say I don't agree either - those A roads can be horrible, and littered with constantly changing speed limits and speed traps etc.

I frequently do almost the identical journey - office near Oxford and live near Chester. As it's work, I've never driven back on a bank holiday but, especially as you're not setting off until 6PM, I wouldn't expect the traffic to quieten down the further north you get. Take it easy - if you "press-on" you're only going to be catching up with the earlier busier traffic.

The only time I would come off the motorway is if traffic news tells me it's blocked.

Edited by Bill Payer on 20/05/2008 at 21:42

M40-M42-M6-M62 to Liverpool, BH Mon late pm? - Happy Blue!
My MiL frequently goes back to London from Manchester on Sunday and BH Monday afternoons so I would suggest that northbound from M42 will be reasonably clear although not perfect. You may want to save time by using the M6 Toll Road, but I cannot think that the A roads will be nay quicker than the motorway even if it was a bit busy.

so M40 - M42 - M6 (Toll) - M6 - M62 would be my bet for the quickest journey.
M40-M42-M6-M62 to Liverpool, BH Mon late pm? - Ed V
Just done it - my son's at the end of his first year, so theyy're already finished!

Don't envy you the BH, but I too would keep to the MWays with the traffic stuff on the radio. The M6 toll will be worth £3.50 I'd think as it's both shorter and empty relatively.

Your problems, if there are any, may come in the Cheshire section.

But there won't be much heading to the coast at that time of day.
Update - daughter is happy staying up til Weds, when I know that route will be much quieter, so I may go then.

Ed V - she finished last week, but is enjoying herself now. She's reading Anatomy and Human Biology.
M40-M42-M6-M62 to Liverpool, BH Mon late pm? - Ed V
Mine is doing architecture and, motoring link, is saving up for a motorbike this summer, after getting fed up with cycling in from Roscoe & Gladstone.
She cycles in from Carnatic Halls - can only afford to drive/run the communal kids' car that's being used to teach #2, so can't take that away to uni. Moving into a shared house slightly closer in for years 2+3.