What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Between a Honda Accord And VW Passat - Akin
Dear brethren, I have the option of buying a used honda accord cdti executive 2005 with 80000 mileage for 7000 pounds or volkswagen passat 1.9D 2005 with mileage of 24,000 for 8,500pounds. I think I should be able to afford either of them.
Ordinarily, the choice would have been the vw passat but with the well known fuel pump and engine problems of the passt and the fact that in the JD power of 2008; amongst the family cars, honda was 3rd while the passat came 16th because of poor reliability and poor interior quality and poor services from the dealers.
I am confused really. your advice is needed urgently before I lose the 2 of them from indecision. which one should I buy?

{volume in subject header lowered}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/05/2008 at 11:26

BETWEEN HONDA ACCORD AND VW PASSAT - Pica
I had the Honda Accord for 3 years and that engine was a peach, and so quiet (you would never have guessed it was running on tractor juice). Nothing went wrong with the car except one small bubble on the alloy wheels and Honda replaced the complete set under warranty. The Golf PD150 I had before the Honda was a reliability nightmare and has put me right off VW after many years of ownership.

My vote would go to Honda
BETWEEN HONDA ACCORD AND VW PASSAT - helicopter
My vote would be the Honda also. Reliable car , good dealers generally. I have the 2.4 executive petrol model.

The Passat has had too many issues for my liking.
BETWEEN HONDA ACCORD AND VW PASSAT - Ed V
Since mileage driven is not really an issue with diesels, I'd go for the Honda on the basis that it has fallen in value more than the VW in to your price range simply due to that, not hugely significant, fact. The rest of the car may be higher perceived value. Further, 80,000 in three years suggests non-wearing motorways miles.

However, you don't say you planned distances; if you're a 40,000 a year guy, that might bring the VW back in to the reckoning; if 10,000, stick with the Honda. Re-sale may affect the decision unless you plan to hold it for over 3-5 years, in which case they'll both be worth didly squat. Honda will be more valuable in the same proportion as it is now I'd guess, but only hundreds not thousands.

Which is more comfortable to sit in and drive [esp if you do high mileages]? I'd guess the Honda is a quieter cruiser, although I've not driven one.
BETWEEN HONDA ACCORD AND VW PASSAT - Akin
I would be averaging about 15,000 miles a year. As everybody advised I have chosen the Honda and I should get hold of it by next week. Thanks for your advise everybody
BETWEEN HONDA ACCORD AND VW PASSAT - cattleman6
Akin.
Reading between the lines,the new Honda Accord which will soon be in showrooms looks an extremely good car.
BETWEEN HONDA ACCORD AND VW PASSAT - OldSkoOL
honda everytime

in my experience VW's are waste of money no matter what the model