What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2005 2.0tdci - rev limiter? - mondeo1306
I tried a static rev/no load test on a 30,000 mile tdci transit tourneo, it would only rev to 3000 rpm, is this normal?

I drove it 20 miles and didn't notice any limit, but i didn't flog it any way

Edited by Pugugly on 04/05/2008 at 21:13

2005 2.0 Tourneo tdci - rev limiter? - Screwloose

Not a good idea to free-rev a diesel anyway; but these will have a rev-limiter when stationary.

Most cars do - and virtually no petrol-injected Ford post 1990 will rev over 4000 without a vehicle speed signal.
2005 2.0 Tourneo tdci - rev limiter? - mondeo1306

i HAD to "italian job" my mondeo tdci 130/6 tp blow the cobwebs/soot out the pipes (lots better now and avg 2.0 % on the smoke test)

ok thanks

2005 2.0 Tourneo tdci - rev limiter? - MikeTorque
Just give it a dose of BP Ultimate and run as normal, no need to rev it to bits then.
i shall try that, even though its about £10 a gallon now, though i have to say it had no effect on the mondeo, which basically simply needed the cobwebs blowing off, its giving 45+ mpg average now 55 on a run.

2005 2.0 Tourneo tdci - rev limiter? - hillman1 {p}
Screwloose,

Just wondering why it isn't a good idea to free-rev a diesel? What is likely to happen as a result? I only ask as many moons ago when I worked in a garage and saw car after car going in for the MOT as part of the emissions test I thought the engine needed to be held as reasonably high revs for a short period of time. I never noticed a rev limiter during this procedure, but it would have been about 8 years ago that I left so maybe things have changed a little..

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by hillman1 {p} on 04/05/2008 at 20:46

2005 2.0 Tourneo tdci - rev limiter? - Screwloose

It still makes me cringe every time I hear a diesel being held screaming on the governor during the pointless MOT "smoke test." The test only requires that it reach max revs - not that it be held there for ages.

An unloaded engine can suffer all sorts of internal stresses without the resistance of the driveline. It's rotating parts; particuarly the crank, pistons and cam tend to "chatter" and it's not unkown for cam-belts to be thrown off or snap.

Static rev-limiters are indeed a fairly new introduction on diesels - ten years ago, most diesel pumps were mechanical, with maybe with a few electronic add-ons. Now things are totally different.
2005 2.0 Tourneo tdci - rev limiter? - hillman1 {p}
Thanks for that Screwloose.
I was told the smoke out of a diesel on full chat was often+mainly soot from the exhaust and to consider it akin to a chimney that needs sweeping, and before any MOT to rag it a bit before hand, and also to ensue the oil/engine was at normal operating temperature, this time round no probe was inserted into my tdci mondeo dipstick hole, but the test station smoke testing machine did ask if the probe was in.

oddly enough, after it not being used for a week (its parked up for a bit) it now revs happily.....

i wish life was uncomplicated