What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Puzzled by lack of Mercedes 'D' Type. - umistim

We are all conversant with the Mercedes Benz A.B.C. and E. types, even the M and R.

Whatever is or was the 'D' ?.
Puzzled by lack of Mercedes 'D' Type. - Avant
In the old days a 300D was a diesel, so maybe they thought it would be confusing?

But there are lots of other gaps (F to L for example) so it may not be as logical as all that. One thing's for sure - V stands for van.
Puzzled by lack of Mercedes 'D' Type. - Manatee
There is a G-wagen!
Puzzled by lack of Mercedes 'D' Type. - adverse camber
but it doesnt hit the spot.
Puzzled by lack of Mercedes 'D' Type. - Tornadorot
I'm guessing C-class stands for "Compact" and E-class for "Executive". G-class for "Geländewagen" (cross-country vehicle) and R-class probably something to do with "Raum" (room). Not sure where the M-class came from. A-class is even smaller than the C-class, and the B-class kind of slots in between.

Also I expect the K suffix for the smaller models (eg. SLK or CLK) is for "kleine" - small.
Puzzled by lack of Mercedes 'D' Type. - Red Baron
No.

SLK stands, at least historically, for Sportlich Leicht Kurz (Sporty Light Short)
CLK replaces the Sportlich with Coupe.

Hence the Mercedes SL is quite a bit bigger than the SLK.

The fact that many of these monikers no longer really apply (anything approaching two tonnes in weight fully loaded is certainly not SL) has become irrelevant.
Puzzled by lack of Mercedes 'D' Type. - boxsterboy
With the proliferation of Mercs in recent years, where no niche is a niche too far, I am sure it won't be long before Merc use up all the alphabet.
Puzzled by lack of Mercedes 'D' Type. - Round The Bend
Bewildered by so many different Mercs on the road, I just categorise them as big ones, small ones, medium ones and sporty ones. Oh and posy ones .......... Seems to work OK.
Puzzled by lack of Mercedes 'D' Type. - jc2
Wasn't there also "K" for Kompressor?
Puzzled by lack of Mercedes 'D' Type. - ifithelps
Didn't 'E' stand for fuel injection, or at least injection as in einspritzung?
Puzzled by lack of Mercedes 'D' Type. - adverse camber
remember that in the trade the letters imply the size/class of the car.

I worked on a development project for CDW27 which was a C/D class size world car and the 27 was a sequence number. (some people might know this better as the mondeo)

So A class, B class, C class, E class are all size ones. I cant remember the proper class definitions but it did go funny at the top end/4x4
Puzzled by lack of Mercedes 'D' Type. - tanvir
Didn't 'E' stand for fuel injection or at least injection as in einspritzung?

Think it did once, didn't the W124 200 have carbs and the 200E have injection?