What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Petrol cost Ultra Eco cars, trailers for Holidays - oilrag
what`s the alternative for the economy minded motorist as fuel prices continue to rise?

Very efficient cars based on `need` and not `want`, such as the upcoming VW UP, said to due 94MPG? You could get a family into that size of car as was done decades ago when the car was full of people and luggage on the roof, or trailer.

Now that`s a thought. Why drive around all year in a 40MPG car thats largely empty if you can do it in a 94MPG VW UP, by pulling a trailer two or three times a year.

What`s wrong with going on holiday with the luggage in a small trailer if it means you get nearly 100MPG the rest of the year?
But has that become a concept outside the `normal` in society, looked upon by other motorists as a wobbling three wheeler or a cyclecar grinding slowly along with its grim faced occupants peering out at another world of luxury and comfort?

In other words are trailers now only culturally normal en route to the tip?

I remember from University many years ago, that horrible feeling of `restriction` in travel range due to petrol costs.
To avoid this, for the motorist, needing more than two seats, with economy in mind, facing restrictions of use, why not use a trailer for luggage and ultra economical 94MPG car as a means of continuing liberty of movement?

Any thoughts?
regards

Petrol cost Ultra Eco cars, trailers for Holidays - Manatee
Good question. As a young married couple, we had self catering holidays in France with baby/small child in a Fiesta 950. I'm pretty sure most people would consider that inadequate now for all their paraphernalia.

Thoughts:

The car has to be capable of pulling the trailer, as does the driver. Most of the muggle i.e. mechanically clueless drivers I know amongst my colleagues rely on the garage to set the tyre pressures every 20,000 miles, that's if they think about it at all. Many with older cars think maintenance is something you do to get it through its MoT. With this level of muggleness I can see trailer wheels bouncing all over the trunk routes and motorways.

How much more weight is added by making some luggage space in the car?

"They" will set up a department for testing and taxing the trailers. When the wheels start bouncing they will introduce a new licence category and driver testing.

It's tricky to park with a trailer - OK when you're off to the tip and back home but can you imagine 1,000 mimsers going on holiday stopping for a gristleburger at the services on the M5?

Maybe the answer is just to cut down a bit. Just having lower powered engines with today's efficiency would help. The aforementioned 950 Fiesta weighed about 750kg and had 45bhp. Make a car like that today and it would probably do at least 60mpg.

Could probably ramble on but have been instructed to gird up my loins and go to the farm shop to get the boss some compost.

Petrol cost Ultra Eco cars, trailers for Holidays - bazza
I can't fault your thinking OR, but it's just far too logical and sensible for most drivers out there! Remember that most people have no idea or the slightest interest in their car's efficiency, running cost or the wider picture! I think image,perceived status and perceived usefulness, within a defined monthly outlay are what dictate car buying by the public at large. Therefore for the average family, an MPV arrives at the same time as the first-born and once the kids are grown up, status in the form of a German marque or similar becomes important to many. There are people round here spending a small fortune on such stuff, still driving their kids 400 yards to school twice a day, so I don't think fuel prices are a significant factor to most just yet. Even the 2nd car,has evolved from old banger to something a bit more upmarket these days! And now we're seeing the 3rd car for the kids appearing.
On the subject of economy, you raise valid points, I own a decent French trailer and can easily get enough gear for a 2 week camping holiday into it That means I don't have to drive an MPV or giant estate all year. I think there's a limit to how smnall a car you can go to when towing, but certainly a 1.4 petrol would easily manage. A small diesel such as the 1.3 Corsa or Punto would be ideal. But as said, towing a trailer takes a bit more advance planning and care (plus it's expensive to book onto a ferry) so I can't see it happening personally.

Petrol cost Ultra Eco cars, trailers for Holidays - jc2
There was a firm that made a foldable trailer-the idea was that you packed all your luggage into the car on arrival at the ferryport-passengers travelled as foot passengers & on other side opened it all up again.
Petrol cost Ultra Eco cars, trailers for Holidays - Kiwi Gary
>>They will set up.....testing and taxing trailer >>

Always has been that way in N.Z. Trailers are considered independent vehicles for purposes of tax, warrant of fitness [ your MOT ], and insurance. WoF covers structural, towing hitch and safety chain, tyres for minimum tread, wheel bearings, brakes if a braked trailer, tail brake & indicator lights.
Petrol cost Ultra Eco cars, trailers for Holidays - oilrag
"I can't fault your thinking OR, but it's just far too logical and sensible for most drivers out there!"

i`m far too pragmatic and lacking in personal image consciousness Bazza. ( lacking in `style`it has been said)

When I retired nearly 3 years ago logic dictated a Punto van (only need 2 seats) with the Multijet engine to get 70+ MPG and a big load area for normal use and trips into Europe and `city car`size for around town.

That ruthless logic on `needs`has worked well, but in all our travels since, have never seen anyone else make the same choice.

Bemusing, that to me , but it could be slightly disconcerting to be wide of societal norms by pulling trailers of luggage or using small diesel vans as solutions.

Regards ;)

Edited by oilrag on 20/04/2008 at 12:35

Petrol cost Ultra Eco cars, trailers for Holidays - b308
Just one thought - if you are going any distance with this trailer - say down through France you will have to allow extra time for your journey - personally I've taken the "in between" option of a Supermini Estate!

And will those "muggles"(?) remember that they should not be driving around at 80+ with a trailer flapping around in the breeze behind them - even though the car will pull it at that speed....
Petrol cost Ultra Eco cars, trailers for Holidays - PhilW
"down through France you will have to allow extra time for your journey ........ will those "muggles"(?) remember that they should not be driving around at 80+ "

I think that the speed limits in France are the same for towing trailers/caravans as for solo cars (except where a separate limit is shown for caravans often on downhill sections of the motorways) so 80+ (130kph) is legal - note I did not say "safe!
Petrol cost Ultra Eco cars, trailers for Holidays - b308
I think that the speed limits in France are the same for towing trailers/caravans as
for solo cars (except where a separate limit is shown for caravans often on downhill
sections of the motorways) so 80+ (130kph) is legal - note I did not say
"safe!

You are right! Blimey!!
Petrol cost Ultra Eco cars, trailers for Holidays - Alby Back
My ideal vehicle would be a comfortable, economical and reliable small to medium van with three seats. As far as I know this does not exist. Therefore I use an estate car. Many years ago I had a Land Rover with three abreast front seats but have never seen this arrangement since, except in a FIAT Multipla which I did test but just didn't like. I need the van-like space most days for work but don't want to run two vehicles so the estate car route seems to be the only sensible solution.

Edited by shoespy on 20/04/2008 at 13:11

Petrol cost Ultra Eco cars, trailers for Holidays - whoopwhoop
I think the roof box has replaced the trailer in modern use - for very good reasons. Much easier to drive with a roof box on than a trailer, and you're not speed limit restricted or banned from using lane 3. Easier to store. Usually no extra costs on the ferry or toll roads, etc etc etc.

You'd be suprised how much you can get in a large roof box as well - probably as much as you can in a trailer.
Petrol cost Ultra Eco cars, trailers for Holidays - Manatee
Yes, that's where we ended up on our gite holidays - Audi 80, wife, 2 children, grandma and roof box (gran was in the car, not the roof box).