What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
99 1.25 zetec, cooling...or not - dudemcc
Hi.
Changed the hcv on our 99 zetec 1.25 recently, but only getting hot air while engine is at a fast idle, the air cools at normal idle until just luke warm.
Also noticed the rad is cold including the top and bottom hoses.
The temp gauge only rises to mid way, no matter how its driven or how long it stands idling,and the fan doesnt kick in, probably due to the cold rad, assuming the fan sensor is in the rad.

Any ideas? Thermostat? Water pump?Naughty replacement HCV?

We are selling this car due to a company car coming, one of the locals is interested, but don't want to sell a duffer
99 1.25 zetec, cooling...or not - Screwloose

Can you still turn the heater to cold with the temp-control knob? Was the heater OK before the HCV was changed?
99 1.25 zetec, cooling...or not - Rattle
I was told the sensor is in the cylinder block which then sends a signal to the ECU if the fan needs to kick in. However the fan should only kick on these cars if there is a problem with overheating in the first place.
Ran the temp gauge up to midway, where it stays.
At fast idle, lurvly hot air, and yes, turn the knob to cold and it cools.
Ran the temp gauge up to midway, where it stays.
At fast idle, lurvly hot air, and yes, turn the knob to cold and it cools.

Changed the hcv due to complaints from my other half that there were no heaters at all, it's her car so I dont notice any faults until she says something is wrong.
Changed the hcv and all seemed ok till I took someone on a test drive, and no they haven't been back in touch.
Going to test the thermostat at the weekend, just in case.
Anybody heard of this trick of drilling a small 3mm hole in the edge of the stat to help against airlocks.
99 1.25 zetec, cooling...or not - Screwloose

Bridge the HCV out with a couple of bits of pipe and see if that helps. Even new ones fail.
99 1.25 zetec, cooling...or not - mfarrow
Anybody heard of this trick of drilling a small 3mm hole in the edge of
the stat to help against airlocks.

Don't they have a ball valve in them anyway?

Check the thermostat, the fact that both rad hoses are cold though does suggest it's working.
Check the thermostat, the fact that both rad hoses are cold though does suggest it's working.

Surely one should be hot with the coolant being taken from the engine, before passing through the rad.
99 1.25 zetec, cooling...or not - jc2
Haven't had a ballvalve in for years(jiggle-pin was the correct name)-most now have a nick in the side of the opening plate to bleed the air.Drilling a hole may stop airlocks which won't be caused by the thermostat anyway but will considerably lengthen warm-up time.If you have an airlock,it is likely to be in the heater-highest point of system-this can be got rid of by opening heater valve to full hot and runnig engine at 4,000 rpm plus for about a minute and by then both heater hoses should be hot.
99 1.25 zetec, cooling...or not - mfarrow
Haven't had a ballvalve in for years(jiggle-pin was the correct name)-most now have a nick

I bought a genuine Ford thermostat with a 'jiggle-pin' last year (albeit for a pushrod engine not a mordern thing where the thermostat purchase includes half the engine).