What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2004. 1.2DSi. Steering Creaking noise - monkeyboyo
My car has done 40K, and i have noticed a creaking sound at very low speeds or when turning the wheel at stationary. The creak is at specific points of rotation, rather than all the way through from lock to lock. I fear that this means the steering rack is on the way out, but wondered if there this is a common fault?
Thanks for reading !
2004. 1.2DSi. Steering Creaking noise - daveyjp
Had the same on my Audi A3, except at 8,000 miles. New steering rack under warranty which was a good thing when I saw the invoice.
2004. 1.2DSi. Steering Creaking noise - grease monkey
I fear that this
means the steering rack is on the way out but wondered if there this is
a common fault?

ive changed a few racks on the jazz, normally because they tend to feel vague in the straight ahead position (it is an electrically assisted rack not hydraulic) or the assistance was poor, have you tried jacking the car off the ground & tried to pinpoint the source of the noise whilst turning the steering lock to lock? try spraying some lube on and around the strut top mountings as these sometimes creak
2004. 1.2DSi. Steering Creaking noise - monkeyboyo
try spraying some lube on and around the strut top mountings as these sometimes creak

>

Thanks for your quick responses to this an another thread of mine Greasemonkey.
I wish it were the strut top mountings (by this you mean the top of the suspension turrets right?) but the noise is low down. Will do as you suggest and jack up the front anyway to have a listen.