What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2005-on 2.0/2.2 TDCi engine - how is VNT actuated? - craig-pd130
As per the title really, are the VNT and EGR systems actuated by vacuum pipes and solenoid switches on these engines?

Just curious!
2005-on 2.0/2.2 TDCi engine - how is VNT actuated? - bikerider
VNT?
2005-on 2.0/2.2 TDCi engine - how is VNT actuated? - 659FBE
VNT = Garrett speak for variable geometry turbocharger.

I don't know the answer to your question but I have a nasty suspicion it's electronically controlled with a stepper motor. Garrett were developing this when I last looked at these things and if you look at the Garrett website it's all there.

The notion of putting any electronics on a turbocharger rather than a simple vacuum actuator is in my view, completely insane. More profit per unit for Garrett though.

Let us know what's there when you get the car.

2005-on 2.0/2.2 TDCi engine - how is VNT actuated? - cheddar
IIRC Euro III cars have a vacuum VV system though it is electronic on the Euro IV cars
Thanks, I'll be getting my nose under the bonnet within nanoseconds of getting the car :-)
2005-on 2.0/2.2 TDCi engine - how is VNT actuated? - injection doc
2.2 has electronic stepper motor fitted to turbo! 2.0d was vacum operated
Doc
2005-on 2.0/2.2 TDCi engine - how is VNT actuated? - cheddar
Doc,

Some 2.0s have the stepper motor, I think the difference was Euro III and IV.
Right, I've had a good nosey under the engine cover at the weekend.

There are two, 3-port solenoid switches on the side of the block, linked to vacuum tubing.

The vacuum take-off is from the vac pump that also feeds the brake servo.

One lot of vac tubing goes under the inlet manifold, I presume this is either the EGR control or (possibly) an intake flap valve to "choke" the engine quickly on switch off.

The other lot of tubing from the second solenoid goes round toward the turbo (can't see exactly where it ends up, as the turbo is buried under a heatshield at the back of the motor).

It looks like it's all vac operated, on the 2.0 TDCi at least.

As usual, some of the vac hose connections weren't fully home, so it's all sorted now :-)
2005-on 2.0/2.2 TDCi engine - how is VNT actuated? - Trink
Hi 659,

I have the Haynes manual for the car and it states under the turbo section;

'On models with an electronic vane actuator, the actuator and its bracket can be unbolted and removed from the turbocharger, but Ford state that the actuator must not be separated from it's bracket.'

I would like to open up the actuator and get the guys from work (electronic engineers) to have a look to see if the electronics are damaged.

Do you know why ford state not to remove the actuator from its bracket?
2005-on 2.0/2.2 TDCi engine - how is VNT actuated? - 659FBE
I don't "know" but I have very strong suspicions. It's almost certainly due to the introduction of setting errors if these parts are separated. These things are probably set during manufacture for a defined actuating rod position at a certain actuator setting (probably full boost).

I suspect dear old Ford have saved a few cents by this "design". Putting electronics anywhere near a turbocharger turbine is a nonsense.