What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2002 TDCi 130 - a slight 'thunk' ? - cheddar
2002 Ghia X TDCi 130 5 dr, 17" wheels, 125k miles.

I have for a while occasionally noticed a slight "thunk" from the offside front over sharp ridges/ripples, also on a rough surface I can percieve, I guess feel through the floor rather than hear, some movement in a component, this is not apparent on smooth surfaces so is induced by suspension movement.

I am thinking that I will check the anti-roll bar drop links, any other thoughts?

Thanks.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/01/2008 at 14:01

2002 TDCi 130 - a slight 'thunk' ? - davmal
Not wanting to give egg sucking lessons or alike, but have you checked the shock for fluid seepage, or noticed small clean oil stains when parked for a while? Had a similar problem from a rear shock failing, gave a hollow clunk, but didn't show up on a bounce test.
Thanks, yes no signs of leakage from the shock.
2002 TDCi 130 - a slight 'thunk' ? - normd2
i had a similar noise once on the previous Previa. Turned out to be the drop link bolt ( the one that needs an Allen key) had come slightly loose. When the car was jacked up the weight of the suspension held it firmly, I only found it by chance by crawling around while it was on its wheels.
2002 TDCi 130 - a slight 'thunk' ? - Saltrampen
If ARB drop links, then would not the thunk sound/feel vary during heavy cornering?
2002 TDCi 130 - a slight 'thunk' ? - Alby Back
Hi Cheddar, Funny that but mine has started to make an occasional, and only slight front end clonk noise when you take up first pressure on the brakes and then it disappears for days. I mentioned it at the last service but they couldn't find anything. Anyway, it's going for its' MOT tomorrow ( gulp ! ) so I'll let you know if that reveals anything. As we have discussed before our cars are the same apart from mine being the ...ahem... more upmarket estate model ;-) and have similar mileage so whatever it is might be the same er...feature. ( mine has 135k on ) I can feel my wallet squirming already !
Thanks S, despite your delusions over the relative worth of your estate that might be helpful, good luck with the MOT !
2002 TDCi 130 - a slight 'thunk' ? - drivewell
SNIPQUOTE
I am thinking that I will check the anti-roll bar drop links any other thoughts?

The 'thunk' certainly sounds like a worn drop-link bush, but the vibration you feel through the floor makes me wonder if its a rear subframe bush?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/01/2008 at 18:49

>>rear subframe bush?>>

Thanks, no, the rear subframe bushes were done at about 102k miles IIRC, the symptoms are very different.

Shoespy, you can be smug in the knowledges that it is only hatch and saloon Mondeo's that suffer the rear sub bush problem as a matter of course.
Thanks Cheddar, but I will only allow smugness to come to the fore tomorrow night if all goes well ! I would.....no...... will..... think positive....., of course then return to being unbearable on the subject of how wonderful TDCI Mondeos are !
Smuggety smug ! MOT passed ! Re clunk - Quote from garage " what do you expect from a car with 135k ....its bound to make an odd noise from time to time "

Right then -- Blinkin' great cars these Mondeo TDCIs, always said so ! ;-)
Smugger than the smuggest smug from smuggchester!

I can feel the smuggness radiating o'er the hills and across the levels ......

Good news, though it is all very well saying what do you expect, did he suggest what it might be?

EDIT: smugger and its variants to a double 'g'

Edited by cheddar on 15/01/2008 at 12:41

"old age" I'm afraid !
Cheddar - I did get an "advisory" on the front tyres though. In fairness I usually have a lot of heavy kit on board but having just checked, these tyres are only 17k old. How many miles do you normally reckon to get from your fronts ?
How many miles do you normally reckon to get from your
fronts ?

Continentals about 25k, Bridgestone under 20k, current Falken FK452 Extra Load (ideal for you by the sounds of it), excellent tyres, very good value, loads of life left at around 15k so I reckon well over 20k should be possible.
OK - thanks for the tip. Hope you get your "clunk" sorted ! Mine seems to have gone away again today. Mind you, I haven't seen next doors' cat for a while come to think of it ;-)